Weird News

MAN PAYS $14 MIL. FOR BEST LICENSE PLATE IN THE WORLD

A vanity license plate with nothing but the number “1” on it went for a record $14 million at a charity auction in Abu Dhabi. The buyer wouldn’t say how many automobiles he owned or which of them might carry the record-breaking single-digit plate, but he said he bought the plate “because it’s the best number. I bought it because I want to be the best in the world.” The oil-rich UAE began auctioning off vanity license plates in May 2007.

MINNESOTA CITY IS OFFICIAL ICEBOX OF THE USA

International Falls, Minn., is officially the “Icebox of the Nation.” The city on the Canadian border had been fighting the ski town of Fraser, Colo., for the legal right to the trademark. International Falls claimed victory when the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office sent the city attorney a certificate granting the community Reg. No. 3,375,139. According to its mayor, International Falls has used the icebox title to market itself to industry as the nation’s premier site for cold-weather testing.

FLORIDA HIGH SCHOOL GIVES 2,550 STUDENTS DETENTION

An accidental push of a button had students at Palm Bay High questioning what they’d done wrong and parents plotting punishments. Parents of all 2,550 students in the school received an automated call reminding them that their student had to report for Saturday morning detention. Problem was, the message only should have gone to 16 homes.

– compiled from
USA Today

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...