Weird News

MAN PAYS $14 MIL. FOR BEST LICENSE PLATE IN THE WORLD

A vanity license plate with nothing but the number “1” on it went for a record $14 million at a charity auction in Abu Dhabi. The buyer wouldn’t say how many automobiles he owned or which of them might carry the record-breaking single-digit plate, but he said he bought the plate “because it’s the best number. I bought it because I want to be the best in the world.” The oil-rich UAE began auctioning off vanity license plates in May 2007.

MINNESOTA CITY IS OFFICIAL ICEBOX OF THE USA

International Falls, Minn., is officially the “Icebox of the Nation.” The city on the Canadian border had been fighting the ski town of Fraser, Colo., for the legal right to the trademark. International Falls claimed victory when the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office sent the city attorney a certificate granting the community Reg. No. 3,375,139. According to its mayor, International Falls has used the icebox title to market itself to industry as the nation’s premier site for cold-weather testing.

FLORIDA HIGH SCHOOL GIVES 2,550 STUDENTS DETENTION

An accidental push of a button had students at Palm Bay High questioning what they’d done wrong and parents plotting punishments. Parents of all 2,550 students in the school received an automated call reminding them that their student had to report for Saturday morning detention. Problem was, the message only should have gone to 16 homes.

– compiled from
USA Today

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...