Sports Briefs

Football
Names back on back of jerseys in 2008

Football players will once again have names on the back of their jerseys after a one-season absence in 2007, according to the Miami Herald.
Head Coach Randy Shannon removed the names before the 2007 season in an attempt to build team unity. According to Shannon, the removal did its job, and names will reappear in time for 2008.

Women’s basketball
Signee to play in All-America game

University of Miami signee Shenise Johnson has been selected to play in the 17th annual WBCA Hich School All-America Game.
The game, sponsored by Nike, brings together 20 players together for their accomplishments during the 2007-2008 season.
Johnson, a 5’11” forward from Henrietta, NY, is the No. 16-ranked prospect in the nation according to Hoopgurlz.com, and makes up part of that website’s 25th-ranked incoming class.

Soccer
Hurricanes sign four

The University of Miami women’s soccer program has announced the signings of four players to National Letters of Intent. The signees include North Texas Goalkeeper of the Year Vikki Alonzo, New Jersey all-state midfielder Ashlee Burt, Virginia striker and All-Region Player of the Year Julianne Rickers and Brooke Van Aman, a First Team All-Conference player from Valrico, Florida.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com and The Miami Herald.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...