Sports Briefs

Football
Names back on back of jerseys in 2008

Football players will once again have names on the back of their jerseys after a one-season absence in 2007, according to the Miami Herald.
Head Coach Randy Shannon removed the names before the 2007 season in an attempt to build team unity. According to Shannon, the removal did its job, and names will reappear in time for 2008.

Women’s basketball
Signee to play in All-America game

University of Miami signee Shenise Johnson has been selected to play in the 17th annual WBCA Hich School All-America Game.
The game, sponsored by Nike, brings together 20 players together for their accomplishments during the 2007-2008 season.
Johnson, a 5’11” forward from Henrietta, NY, is the No. 16-ranked prospect in the nation according to Hoopgurlz.com, and makes up part of that website’s 25th-ranked incoming class.

Soccer
Hurricanes sign four

The University of Miami women’s soccer program has announced the signings of four players to National Letters of Intent. The signees include North Texas Goalkeeper of the Year Vikki Alonzo, New Jersey all-state midfielder Ashlee Burt, Virginia striker and All-Region Player of the Year Julianne Rickers and Brooke Van Aman, a First Team All-Conference player from Valrico, Florida.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com and The Miami Herald.

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...

The University of Miami baseball team will host visiting Pittsburgh for a three-game series beginnin ...

Johnson, Mack and McGusty join Hurricanes' program for 2018-19 season. ...

Kasey Crider was named Miami volleyball's associate head coach after three seasons on head coac ...