Greek Week celebrates Nickelodeon of the ’90s

The University of Miami’s annual Greek Week kicks off today with singing and dancing – and possibly some slime.

Greek Week, which is actually two weeks this year, involves members of the Interfraternity Council fraternities and Panhellenic sororities and will center around the theme “Greek-elodeon.” Organizations have been assigned team names based on the ’90s Nickelodeon game show, “Legends of the Hidden Temple,” which separated participants into different teams, such as the Blue Barracudas and Purple Parrots, to compete in an obstacle course for prizes.

Greek members will compete in various field events, service projects and supply drives, culminating with the closing ceremonies when one of seven sororities and one of 11 fraternities will be named the winners.

The event is a fundraiser for United Cerebral Palsy (UCP), and students can contribute by purchasing UCP wristbands and attending a car wash or silent and live auctions, among other events.

Although philanthropy is the primary goal of Greek Week, participants are also after another thing: the trophy. Last year, Sigma Phi Epsilon won the fraternity side of Greek Week. Delta Phi Epsilon was the winner among sororities.

“Winning Greek Wweek last year was one of the proudest moments I had as a SigEp,” said current president Zach Chan. “We put in a lot of work into that one week of events, and to come first in something we put all our effort into was very rewarding.”

Chan says he is anxious and hopeful for another victory.

“We just returned the trophy to the Greek Week staff last week. Our trophy stand doesn’t look the same without it. Hopefully we will have it back soon.”

Greek Week begins tonight with Organized Cheer (O-Cheer) during which fraternities and sororities perform original skits judged on creativity, style, spirit and incorporation of theme and philanthropy.

To Know: O-Cheer is tonight on the UC Patio at 8:30 p.m.

Blair Brettschneider is a member of Alpha Delta Pi sorority and may be contacted at b.brettschneider@umiami.edu.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...