Fidel Castro relenquishes presidency of Cuba

Fidel Castro has announced he will not return to the presidency of Cuba in a letter to Granma, the island’s state-controlled newspaper.

Castro had ruled uninterrupted until July of 2006, when he transferred power to his brother Raul due to deteriorating health. He had been improving in recent months, and seemed ready to take a more involved role in the government, winning a seat in the country’s parliament last month. There’s no indication whether or not health is a factor in the decision.

The announcement ends 49 years in the position, outlasting nine United States presidential administrations dating back to 1959, when he led an overthrow of the government of Fulgencio Batista.

Stay with The Miami Hurricane with more information on this breaking story and its impact on Miami.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

To read the full text of Fidel Castro’s letter, go to blogs.themiamihurricane.com.

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...