Fidel Castro relenquishes presidency of Cuba

Fidel Castro has announced he will not return to the presidency of Cuba in a letter to Granma, the island’s state-controlled newspaper.

Castro had ruled uninterrupted until July of 2006, when he transferred power to his brother Raul due to deteriorating health. He had been improving in recent months, and seemed ready to take a more involved role in the government, winning a seat in the country’s parliament last month. There’s no indication whether or not health is a factor in the decision.

The announcement ends 49 years in the position, outlasting nine United States presidential administrations dating back to 1959, when he led an overthrow of the government of Fulgencio Batista.

Stay with The Miami Hurricane with more information on this breaking story and its impact on Miami.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

To read the full text of Fidel Castro’s letter, go to blogs.themiamihurricane.com.

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...