WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: Another Heartbreaker

The Miami Hurricanes women’s basketball team just can’t avoid heartbreaking losses this season. This time, it was Virginia Tech who came into the BankUnited Center and stole a victory from the Canes in overtime, 81-73.

Head Coach Katie Meier knew her team was distraught after regulation.

“I think our spirit was broke,” Meier said. “We came out flat. We had no passion. When you don’t have spirit, you don’t play with energy and I think that really showed in overtime.”

Miami (9-15, 2-7) was clinging to a two-point lead late in the final minutes of the second half until forward Utahya Drye took it hard to the hole to bank in the game-tying two point shot with four seconds left. Seconds later, Woodson was unable to draw iron on her last second heave, sending the game to overtime, tied at 69.

In overtime, Virginia Tech (14-11, 1-9 ACC) relied on leading scorer Brittany Cook to carry the team. On back-to-back possessions, Cook hit two three-pointers to give Virginia Tech a 75-69 lead. The Hokies outscored the Canes 12 to 4 in overtime. Cook finished with 36 points and nine rebounds.

“I felt we were very deflated in overtime because we were disappointed that we didn’t get the defensive stop to win the game,” Meier said.

Everything looked to be going Miami’s way in the opening half with Maurita Reid carrying the team on her back. Reid, who scored five points against Georgia Tech, scored 18 points in the first half going 7-for-9 from the field. Miami had a 32-28 lead entering halftime.

Miami had a 67-62 lead with 2:07 left in the game until Drye nailed a twenty-five foot shot with one second left on the shot clock.

“Virginia Tech definitely made some amazing shots, especially the three-pointer when we are up five,” Meier said. “If she misses that, then it’s game over.”

Reid finished with 26 points but only scored eight points after halftime. Forward Charmaine Clark added 12 points.

Meier felt like her team just doesn’t exactly know how to finish off their opponents and dodge these heartbreakers.

“It is tough,” Meier said. “I have to make some different late game adjustments. It seems like the game flow would be good for the entire game. When the game is on the line, it seems like they change their flow to the game. I don’t know why.”

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...