Med School Briefs

Sylvester Center final destination for new technological device

The University of Miami Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center was chosen as one of the final sites for the Early Access Counter Analysis System, a genetic analysis system that is based on direct measurement. This new system will allow researchers to effectively integrate more genes across more samples, making it cost effective and less time consuming than conventional methods. The device will be used in the Oncogenomics Core Facilities of the Sylvester Center. Being awarded this unique system puts UM/Sylvester in the prestigious company of only four other university research centers across the country.

Royalty visits Miller School

The Duke of York, Prince Andrew, visited the Miller School of Medicine this past week. The prince spent his morning with Dean Pascal J. Goldschmidt, President Donna E. Shalala and a few of the Miller School’s top physicians and scientists in a meeting at the Louis Pope Life Center on the university’s medical campus. Dart Chernow, vice president of special programs and resources strategy and senior executive advisor to the dean, presented plans for the university’s Life Science Park, which plans to bring together research and industry to expedite the movement of ideas from the laboratory to patients. Barth Green, professor and chairman of the Department of Neurological Surgery at the Miller School, and William Dalton Dietrich, III, scientific director at The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, presented the prince with work pertaining to the advance treatment and prevention of brain and spinal cord injury. Stem cell research was also discussed in depth. Joshua Hare, Louis Lemberg, professor of medicine and chief of the Miller School’s Cardiovascular Division, and Paul Schiller, associate professor of medicine and molecular biology, discussed details on upcoming clinical trials using stem cells for heart failure and other disease therapy. The prince spent the rest of his day at the university touring the school grounds and greeting students.