Harris attempts to qualify for NCAA

Tim Harris continues his preparation for next month’s NCAA Championships in Fayetteville, Ark. He’ll be running at the Tyson Invitational, one of the premiere meets on the U.S. indoor schedule. He will run in the Men’s Invitational 800-meter dash at 8:55 p.m., against a strong, evenly-matched field that includes four pros.

It will be Harris’ second 800-meter dash of the year. Last Saturday at the ACC Challenge in Blacksburg, Va., he won in 1:50:34, taking control at the midway point. Though it qualified him provisionally for the March 14-15 NCAA Championships (also in Fayetteville), Head Coach Mike Ward felt the first half of the race, which he completed in 55 seconds, could have been faster.

Harris’ teammates will compete Saturday in the college portion of the meet, preparing for the ACC Championships Feb. 28 through March 1 in Chapel Hill, N.C.

Ward said Elan Daviglus and Roland DaSilva also have chances to qualify for the NCAA meet, but will need to beat personal bests to get there. Hurdlers Les Bradley and Cory Nelms are also close.

The meet is hosted by the University of Arkansas, currently the most powerful men’s track and field and cross-country program in America.

Ward and Harris have ambitious goals for 2008, choosing judiciously only meets of consequence leading to the NCAA Outdoor Championships and U.S. Olympic Trials, where Harris hopes to be a contender.

Krishen Rangi may be contacted at k.rangi@umiami.edu.

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...