Harris attempts to qualify for NCAA

Tim Harris continues his preparation for next month’s NCAA Championships in Fayetteville, Ark. He’ll be running at the Tyson Invitational, one of the premiere meets on the U.S. indoor schedule. He will run in the Men’s Invitational 800-meter dash at 8:55 p.m., against a strong, evenly-matched field that includes four pros.

It will be Harris’ second 800-meter dash of the year. Last Saturday at the ACC Challenge in Blacksburg, Va., he won in 1:50:34, taking control at the midway point. Though it qualified him provisionally for the March 14-15 NCAA Championships (also in Fayetteville), Head Coach Mike Ward felt the first half of the race, which he completed in 55 seconds, could have been faster.

Harris’ teammates will compete Saturday in the college portion of the meet, preparing for the ACC Championships Feb. 28 through March 1 in Chapel Hill, N.C.

Ward said Elan Daviglus and Roland DaSilva also have chances to qualify for the NCAA meet, but will need to beat personal bests to get there. Hurdlers Les Bradley and Cory Nelms are also close.

The meet is hosted by the University of Arkansas, currently the most powerful men’s track and field and cross-country program in America.

Ward and Harris have ambitious goals for 2008, choosing judiciously only meets of consequence leading to the NCAA Outdoor Championships and U.S. Olympic Trials, where Harris hopes to be a contender.

Krishen Rangi may be contacted at k.rangi@umiami.edu.

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...