Former Cane returns to slice up the competition at mixed martial arts fight

Mixed martial arts fighter and former University of Miami student Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson will return to UM to fight David Lee “Tank” Abbott Saturday at the BankUnited Center. The fight will be featured as the main event of the night that begins at 7:30 p.m.

“I don’t think nothing about Tank,” Slice said on the Jimmy Kimmel Show. “To fight Tank now, I’m looking forward to that.”

This will be Slice’s third fight as a member of Elite Extreme Combat, the mixed martial arts league. Currently, Slice boasts a 2-0 record after defeating Bo Cantrell, in a bout that lasted 19 seconds, and Ray Mercer.

Mixed martial arts is a full-contact combat sport that mixes boxing, kickboxing, striking, wrestling and submission fighting. In the last several years it has become increasingly popular.

Slice, 34, was a Miami-based street fighter before he took up mixed martial arts. He made his MMA debut on June 23, 2007.

Originally from the Bahamas, Slice attended Miami Palmetto Senior High where he became the ninth-ranked linebacker in the nation for football. He later attended UM on an academic scholarship, but stayed for little over one year. Slice now resides in Miami with his family.

The Elite Extreme Combat event will feature some of the best fighters in mixed martial arts, including Florida natives Charles “Krazy Horse” Bennett and Edson Berto. The opening bouts will be streamed on proelite.com starting at 7:30 p.m. and the main event can be seen on Showtime at 10 p.m.

Tickets for the fight are still available and range from $60 to $600.

Rory Lincoln may be contacted at r.lincoln@umiami.edu.

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...