Students from residential colleges compete in SportsFest

Jimmy Ohrberg plans million dollar shows at Sea World, but for the past 22 years he has managed the scores for SportsFest – an activity he has been doing since he was a student at the University of Miami.

With the efforts of volunteers like Ohrberg and a SportsFest committee that starts meeting on a weekly basis in October, the three-day event is successfully produced year after year.

“SportsFest is one of the best events the University of Miami has,” Edoardo Castelli, a sophomore, said. “I like it because it brings the student body together.”

Pat Flynn, a freshman, is the student representative from Pearson on the SportsFest Committee. He said trying to get more girls involved in SportsFest and arranging events to fit time constraints were major issues at the meetings. However, he said the hardest task was reviewing the rule book.

“We had to go through the rule book to make sure there were not any redundancy or contradictions and that book is pretty big” he said.

The SportsFest handbook states selection of awards, coordinating assignments of volunteers and supervising events as additional responsibilities of the committee.

Tom Soria, the assistant director of intramurals and special events, oversaw the committee and only interfered when an idea would have potential safety or liability problems. He also made sure policies and procedures of the university were being followed.

“I try to give the committee as much insight as I can. Some things look feasible on paper but are not,” Soria said.

The budget for SportsFest was $14,000 and was mainly spent on publicity, prizes, and paying officials. Residential colleges supplied this money from funds allotted to them for events. The percentage each college paid was determined by the number of its residents participating in SportsFest.

Other contributors to SportsFest include Rhonda DuBord, the associate director for the department of wellness and recreation. She is responsible for SportsFest’s connection with Red Bull, the only outside organization involved.

DuBord’s fellow professional staff at the Wellness Center also helps with monitoring events, along with volunteers from each student team

This combined effort has accomplished something special which Flynn realizes.

“Miami is one of the few colleges in the country that does something like this,” he said. “Most colleges just have this for Greek life. It’s like Harry Potter with the houses competing.”

Edward Fishman may be contacted at

SportsFest Winners

1st Hecht
2nd University Village
3rd Stanford

1st Super Soakers (Hecht)
2nd UV Legends (U. Village)
3rd MT3 Mousekateers (Hecht)

1st Cosmopolitans (Stanford)
2nd Pearson Pin-Ups (Pearson)
3rd Team No Name (Apt. Area)

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...

The University of Miami rowing team kicked off its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Hurricanes fell behind early and could not recover Saturday afternoon, falling to No. 23 Duke, 4 ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team had its superb 2017-18 season come to an end Sa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will go into a match ranked for the first time this s ...