Step show, Gospel Explosion continue month-long Black Awareness effort

With “gospel explosions” and step show competitions, students kicked off Black Awareness Month last week with music, dancing and a month-long itinerary of events.

So far, students have participated in the Miss Black and Gold Scholarship Pageant, opening ceremonies, a Gospel Explosion and most recently the Greek Extravaganza step show at Gusman concert hall on Friday night.

The step show, which featured dances performed by members of black Greek letter organizations, centered around the month’s theme – “Evolution of Black.”

After four hours of intense stepping, first place went to the Sigma Gamma Rho sorority and the Iota Phi Beta fraternity. The Iota Phi Beta boys came from Johnson & Wales University and were pleased to rank above UM fraternities.

“I wasn’t going to accept anything less than that win, that $1,000, that trophy,” said Michael Turner, a junior from Iota Phi Beta.

For anyone who missed Friday’s step show, United Black Students, whose members sponsor and host Black Awareness Month events, still have 12 more activities planned for the month of February. Some of these events include the annual fashion show and a community service outing.

UBS has also planned some new events this year, including the “Harlem Speaks” charity banquet this Saturday, which will feature live jazz, dance, poetry and an auction.

Erin Butherus may be contacted at e.butherus@umiami.edu.

Some upcoming events

-“HIV 201: The Female Academic” on Feb. 12 at the Wesley Center at 7:30 p.m.

-“Harlem Speaks” charity banquet on Feb. 16 in the School of Communication courtyard at 7 p.m.

-“Déj

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...