Med students double as performers in free concert

Some University of Miami medical students are putting down their scalpels and stethoscopes this evening and picking up other instruments to entertain at the Miller School of Medicine.

About five times a year, the Music Ensembles for the Enrichment of Medicine puts together a showcase of students, and sometimes faculty, who sing, dance and play instruments such as the guitar, violin, French horn and bassoon. The concerts are free and open to anyone.

What began as a small, monthly lunchtime show has grown in popularity. The events have moved from classrooms to the outdoors. The group’s size has also grown to more than 100 members.

MEEM members also perform for health-related organizations, such as Physicians for Human Rights, and for sick children at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

The performers are usually first- and second-year medical students, plus a few faculty members and others affiliated with hospital, but “anybody is welcome to join,” said MEEM president Mark Choi, who plays the flute and bassoon.

For some med students, who put in long hours and face lots of stress, performing can be therapeutic.

“[Playing the guitar] is like a release and is entertainment for the day,” said Dan Cushman, a second-year medical student and MEEM member. “Last time there was probably about 200 people that came.”

Previous concerts have included students who have performed at places such as Carnegie Hall and on Broadway. Some of the performers create their own material, while others do popular songs.

Fellow med students say they look forward to the performances.

“You get to watch all of your peers perform amazing music,” said Megha Garg, another second-year medical student.

To Know:

There will be a MEEM concert tonight at 5 p.m. in the Quadrangle, located south of the Rosenstiel Medical Science Building. The performance will include popular cover songs by artists including Norah Jones, Cold Play and the Goo Goo Dolls.

Allison Worrell may be contacted at a.worrell@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...