Med students double as performers in free concert

Some University of Miami medical students are putting down their scalpels and stethoscopes this evening and picking up other instruments to entertain at the Miller School of Medicine.

About five times a year, the Music Ensembles for the Enrichment of Medicine puts together a showcase of students, and sometimes faculty, who sing, dance and play instruments such as the guitar, violin, French horn and bassoon. The concerts are free and open to anyone.

What began as a small, monthly lunchtime show has grown in popularity. The events have moved from classrooms to the outdoors. The group’s size has also grown to more than 100 members.

MEEM members also perform for health-related organizations, such as Physicians for Human Rights, and for sick children at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

The performers are usually first- and second-year medical students, plus a few faculty members and others affiliated with hospital, but “anybody is welcome to join,” said MEEM president Mark Choi, who plays the flute and bassoon.

For some med students, who put in long hours and face lots of stress, performing can be therapeutic.

“[Playing the guitar] is like a release and is entertainment for the day,” said Dan Cushman, a second-year medical student and MEEM member. “Last time there was probably about 200 people that came.”

Previous concerts have included students who have performed at places such as Carnegie Hall and on Broadway. Some of the performers create their own material, while others do popular songs.

Fellow med students say they look forward to the performances.

“You get to watch all of your peers perform amazing music,” said Megha Garg, another second-year medical student.

To Know:

There will be a MEEM concert tonight at 5 p.m. in the Quadrangle, located south of the Rosenstiel Medical Science Building. The performance will include popular cover songs by artists including Norah Jones, Cold Play and the Goo Goo Dolls.

Allison Worrell may be contacted at a.worrell@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...