Group aims to shine light on ‘invisible children’ on Red Hand Day

A group of University of Miami students are doing their part to end the suffering of child soldiers around the world.

Invisible Children, a club started by students last semester, is participating in Red Hand Day on Tuesday to raise global awareness of the struggle of child soldiers in countries such as The Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda, and Uganda.

Red Hand Day, which began on Feb. 12, 2002, was created by the United Nations to commemorate The Optional Protocol to the Convention of the Rights of the Child Treaty, which guarantees all children’s right to be protected from armed conflict. Since 2002, more than 97 countries have participated in events to show their support.

Invisible Children club members will be distributing red hand patches in the UC breezeway on Tuesday to promote awareness. The patches will have a picture of Africa and a Red Hand-the universal symbol for the movement.

“The main goal of our club is to raise awareness and funds for the children,” said Chelsea Werner, a member of Invisible Children. “We’re trying to bring awareness to child soldiers around the world.”

Club members also plan to show the movie, “Invisible Children,” which was made by three men from southern California – all in their early 20s – in 2003. The movie, which highlights the plight of child soldiers in Uganda, has been shown on campus before, but this year, club members hope to have a member of the film staff at the showing to answer questions.

“Right now our executive board is more of a programming board. We’re setting up the movie viewing, which is our main event and goal for our campus this semester,” Werner said.

Invisible Children members, along with students involved with Red Hand Day, want to get the word out about this global problem. They urge everyone to simply pass on information and educate others to make a difference.

“I think it’s important for college students everywhere to get involved,” said Melissa McBride, another club member. “This is a young movement and I think that young people have the power to make a change. It’s important to be a part of it.”

Christa Ruggiero may be contacted at c.ruggiero@umiami.edu.

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...