Alcohol service may end two hours earlier in Coconut Grove

Grove dwellers from the University of Miami might want to rethink their plans as early as this weekend.

Miami city commissioners voted 4-0 to cut off alcohol sales in downtown Coconut Grove at 3 a.m., as opposed to the current cutoff time of 5 a.m.

Commissioner Marc Sarnoff told his fellow commissioners that the new cutoff time was to change the cultural landscape of the Grove. He also cited increased incidents of crime during this time, The Miami Herald reported.

Sarnoff said the Grove should no longer serve as a late-night retreat for the college students who fill up its bars and restaurants.

“Coconut Grove needs to start servicing the wealthy people,” The Herald reported Sarnoff as saying at a Jan. 24 city meeting.

As a result of his statements, many called his remarks elitist, and UM students were quick to comment.

“The bars should stay open until they stop making money,” Mike Lewan, a junior, said. “And with UM students, that could be all night.”

Most of the bars popular with the college crowd, such as Sandbar and Tavern, already close before 3 a.m., but many students were more offended by how they felt the city viewed them than the actual ruling itself.

“I don’t really stay out later than 3 a.m., but I still think it’s unfair for the city to tell us we’re not welcome,” Lauren Michal, a senior, said. “We work so hard during the week and once Thursday or Friday rolls around we ask for one or two nights to have fun in the Grove. That’s all we ask for.”

Other students questioned the reasoning behind the decision.

“What are they trying to accomplish?” sophomore Alicia Mucci said. “What they gain from more wealthy people eating and shopping in the area won’t make up for the business we give them.”

Some wondered whether this new ruling will have an effect on pre-gaming plans, or if bar hoppers will head to the Grove earlier.

“I don’t think it will make a difference,” Justin Lichtenstaedter, a sophomore, said. “People don’t think that far in advance. They aren’t going to be thinking they need to start drinking more at nine because they have to stop at three.”

While students are concerned about where they’ll have to find their late-night Moose Juice, the people behind the bar are more worried about what the change will do to business.

“Of course the new cutoff is going to affect us,” said Mike Pemberton, a bouncer at a bar that UM students frequent. He asked that the bar not be named. “To make a long story short, it’s going to kill the Grove.”

Even venues that close before three are confused about the reasoning behind the change.

“What wealthy people go out at 3 a.m.?” said Manny Hernandaz, a waiter at TuTu Tango’s. “If they drive the UM students out we will have no one pretty to look at.”

Some students admitted that the decision won’t have an effect on them, and some said it could even be seen as a positive change.

“Three a.m.? People are usually finished by then,” Catherine Quinn, a sophomore, said. “Or at least they should be. They probably don’t need anymore.”

The topic will be discussed again on second reading at this Thursday’s regular city commission meeting. If approved, it will go into effect immediately.

Veronica Sepe may be contacted at v.sepe@umiami.edu.

Closing times

South Beach: Clubs close at 4 or 5 a.m.
Downtown Miami: 5 a.m., plus there are after hours clubs that stay open until the afternoon such as Space; Gold Rush in Downtown Miami is open 24-hours
Sunset Tavern in South Miami: every night until 5 a.m.
Bougainvillea’s by Sunset Place: 3 a.m. on Friday and Saturday

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...