UPDATE: Grogg withdraws application for Syracuse position

POSTED FEB. 8 AT 11:23 A.M.

Sam L Grogg, dean of the School of Communication, is not going anywhere, he told faculty in an e-mail Friday morning.

“For too many days we have been distracted by the possibility of my leaving the SoC,” the message says. “That is not going to happen. I have withdrawn my candidacy for the Newhouse dean position.”

He visited Syracuse University’s Newhouse School of Public Communications two weeks ago for interviews and to talk with a group of students. Grogg was one of two finalists, the other being the current journalism school dean at the University of Texas.

Before he visited Syracuse, Grogg told The Miami Hurricane he had no intention of leaving Miami.

“My consideration of the move came completely out of personal reasons and never was or is based on any negativity about our great School and your stellar work,” he says in the e-mail.

Greg Linch may be contacted at gregl@miami.edu.

Greg Linch

Former editor in chief (2007-2008)

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...