UPDATE: Grogg withdraws application for Syracuse position

POSTED FEB. 8 AT 11:23 A.M.

Sam L Grogg, dean of the School of Communication, is not going anywhere, he told faculty in an e-mail Friday morning.

“For too many days we have been distracted by the possibility of my leaving the SoC,” the message says. “That is not going to happen. I have withdrawn my candidacy for the Newhouse dean position.”

He visited Syracuse University’s Newhouse School of Public Communications two weeks ago for interviews and to talk with a group of students. Grogg was one of two finalists, the other being the current journalism school dean at the University of Texas.

Before he visited Syracuse, Grogg told The Miami Hurricane he had no intention of leaving Miami.

“My consideration of the move came completely out of personal reasons and never was or is based on any negativity about our great School and your stellar work,” he says in the e-mail.

Greg Linch may be contacted at gregl@miami.edu.

Greg Linch

Former editor in chief (2007-2008)

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...