The Show Will Go On, and The Winners Are

When the Grammys take place Sunday, it will be the first major award show to go on since the writers’ strike began. There is a lot of hype for the show, and since the organizers recently struck a deal with the Screen Actors Guild to use union writers, artists will no longer have to cross a picket line to participate. Announced performers include John Legend, Fergie, Andrea Bocelli, Josh Groban, the Foo Fighters and Alicia Keys. If all goes as planned, the Grammys are undoubtedly going to be an amazing show.

With all of the extremely deserving nominees, it’s hard to predict who is going to win the trophies by the end of the night, but here are the predictions of two students.

Dan Buyanovsky’s Grammy Picks

Record of the Year: Rihanna – Umbrella
Rihanna definitely conquered the hearts of every group from teenage girls to club-hopping 30somethings with her infectious umbrella, ellas.

Album of the Year: Amy Winehouse – Back to Black
I can’t remember a brand new artist who made enough of a splash to be nominated for album of the year. Producer Mark Ronson did a phenomenal job.

Song of the Year: Plain White T’s – Hey There, Delilah
This is definitely the most cleverly-written and radio-friendly smash hit of the year.

Best New Artist: Amy Winehouse
Not even a rehab stint and a physical match with her husband could keep her from climbing to the top of the record industry.

Best Rap Album: Nas – Hip Hop Is Dead
Nas is certainly the underdog with Kanye in the running, but his album was undoubtedly the most influential of the year.

Producer of the Year: Mark Ronson
From Amy Winehouse to Lily Allen and his own “Versions,” he’s the best, and probably coolest, producer there is.

Best Pop Vocal Album: Maroon 5 – It Won’t Be Soon Before Long
Rather than escaping their pop roots, they embraced them and made a great follow up album to Songs About Jane.

Best Soundtrack Album: Across the Universe
A generation of kids who seemingly forgot about The Beatles were reintroduced through the best musical of the last few years.

Best Alternative Album: Lily Allen – Alright, Still
Lily Allen is the perfect combination between alternative and hip-hop, which Mark Ronson also helped create.

Best Dance Recording: Justice – D.A.N.C.E.
No other dance song released this year is as catchy and absolutely original as “D.A.N.C.E.” It also inspired thousands of unique remixes.

Kendall Sale’s Grammy Picks

Record of the Year: Justin Timberlake – What Goes Around. Comes Around
As Timberlake’s third consecutive number-one single on the Billboard Hot 100, it received high praise from Billboard, Rolling Stone and adolescent females nationwide.

Album of the Year: Kanye West – Graduation
Kanye may be a bit on the cocky side, but he’s got the goods to back it up.

Song of the Year: Carrie Underwood – Before He Cheats
The most successful winner of American Idol since Kelly Clarkson, I think Carrie Underwood appeals to more than just country fans.

Best New Artist: Taylor Swift
She seems like your average, all-American girl. She definitely has the image of a Best New Artist winner.

Best Rap Album: Kanye West – Graduation
See: album of the year. Kanye is the man.

Producer of the Year: Timbaland
Obviously. It seems like every popular hip-hop song on the radio either features or is produced by Timbaland. I say he’s a shoe-in.

Best Soundtrack Album: Dreamgirls
With a soundtrack featuring strong vocals from Beyoncé and Jennifer Hudson, it’s the likely winner.

Best Pop Vocal Album: Amy Winehouse – Back to Black
Despite Winehouse’s legal issues and sobriety struggles, her second album Back to Black is certified five-time platinum selling album, making it the best selling album of 2007.

Best Alternative Album: The White Stripes – Icky Thump
It’s an all-around good album that can appeal to a lot of people. The Shins might be tough competition, but I personally think Icky Thump deserves to win.

Best Dance Recording: Rihanna – Don’t Stop The Music
If you’re ever in South Beach on the weekends, you’re likely to hear this song about a dozen times. It always sets a party atmosphere.

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek to continue its perfect record at home Frid ...

Amy Deem and the Hurricanes will travel to Los Angeles to compete at the Power 5 Trail Blazer Challe ...

The University of Miami baseball program will host its third annual 'Bark in the Park' gam ...

Miami sophomore guard declares for NBA Draft but will not hire agent. ...

In search of its fourth series win of the spring, the Miami Hurricanes host No. 24 Virginia from Mar ...