Women’s basketball flattened by Terrapins in fourth straight loss

This was not the way women’s basketball Head Coach Katie Meier expected her team to rebound after a heartbreaking overtime loss to Florida State on Jan. 24.

Instead of playing with their usual competitive, gritty style, the University of Miami women’s basketball team came out flat Thursday night and was soundly beaten by the No. 5-ranked Maryland Terrapins, 90-50, their fourth straight defeat.

Miami (8-13, 1-4) used an effective half-court press to take a brief early lead, but after guard Maurita Reid picked up her second foul and had to sit, the Terrapins (23-2, 7-1) pulled away and never looked back. Maryland ended the first half on a 20-5 run and took a commanding 44-23 lead into the locker room.

Leading scorer Crystal Langhorne was joined in double figures by Marah Strickland , Laura Harper and Marissa Coleman, who recorded 14, 13 and 12, respectively. . Harper led Maryland with eight rebounds, as the Terrapins out-rebounded Miami 35-24. Kristi Tolliver added seven points and a game-high 10 assists.

Reid was the only Hurricane to reach double figures, scoring 15 points, as the Canes shot a meager 40.4 percent from the field.

Coach Meier was surprised by her team’s poor display of shooting, especially from the outside, where they made only 6-of-20 three-point shots.

“I didn’t think we’d have as much trouble scoring as we did,” Meier said. “We need to fix that.”

When asked about her plans for the next few days of practice, Meier said she expects to find out about her team’s character.

“I’m just going to challenge our toughness, Meier said. “We didn’t play with the toughness I needed to see tonight, mentally or physically.”

Jon Moss may be contacted at j.moss@umiami.edu.

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...