Women’s basketball flattened by Terrapins in fourth straight loss

This was not the way women’s basketball Head Coach Katie Meier expected her team to rebound after a heartbreaking overtime loss to Florida State on Jan. 24.

Instead of playing with their usual competitive, gritty style, the University of Miami women’s basketball team came out flat Thursday night and was soundly beaten by the No. 5-ranked Maryland Terrapins, 90-50, their fourth straight defeat.

Miami (8-13, 1-4) used an effective half-court press to take a brief early lead, but after guard Maurita Reid picked up her second foul and had to sit, the Terrapins (23-2, 7-1) pulled away and never looked back. Maryland ended the first half on a 20-5 run and took a commanding 44-23 lead into the locker room.

Leading scorer Crystal Langhorne was joined in double figures by Marah Strickland , Laura Harper and Marissa Coleman, who recorded 14, 13 and 12, respectively. . Harper led Maryland with eight rebounds, as the Terrapins out-rebounded Miami 35-24. Kristi Tolliver added seven points and a game-high 10 assists.

Reid was the only Hurricane to reach double figures, scoring 15 points, as the Canes shot a meager 40.4 percent from the field.

Coach Meier was surprised by her team’s poor display of shooting, especially from the outside, where they made only 6-of-20 three-point shots.

“I didn’t think we’d have as much trouble scoring as we did,” Meier said. “We need to fix that.”

When asked about her plans for the next few days of practice, Meier said she expects to find out about her team’s character.

“I’m just going to challenge our toughness, Meier said. “We didn’t play with the toughness I needed to see tonight, mentally or physically.”

Jon Moss may be contacted at j.moss@umiami.edu.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...