Miss Black and Gold Scholarship Pageant part of Black Awareness Month activities

Grace and talent are not the only virtues in common among some University of Miami students – they also share a desire to win.

During last Thursday’s Miss Black and Gold Scholarship Pageant five students competed in an annual pageant keeping with “The Evolution of Black,” theme for Black Awareness Month

“This pageant is a symbol of our pride for the achievements the African Diaspora has contributed to society,” said Islamiyat Adebisi, president of the United Black Students, the organization that sponsored the event.

The contestants had to answer questions that were relevant to the black community such as “How can African-Americans use their economic influence to reemerge as a significant and productive population in America?”

Richina Bicette and Jasmine Brooks, two of the contestants, entered a tie-breaker round during which they answered a question about Barack Obama’s presidential campaign.

Bicette was the competition’s winner.

The Contestants

Richina Bicette: Obstetrician-Gynecologist
Jasmine Brooks: Public Relations graduate
Asia Davis: member of Congress
Vintaya Crawford: Medical student
Tierra Fair: Talk show host

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...