Miss Black and Gold Scholarship Pageant part of Black Awareness Month activities

Grace and talent are not the only virtues in common among some University of Miami students – they also share a desire to win.

During last Thursday’s Miss Black and Gold Scholarship Pageant five students competed in an annual pageant keeping with “The Evolution of Black,” theme for Black Awareness Month

“This pageant is a symbol of our pride for the achievements the African Diaspora has contributed to society,” said Islamiyat Adebisi, president of the United Black Students, the organization that sponsored the event.

The contestants had to answer questions that were relevant to the black community such as “How can African-Americans use their economic influence to reemerge as a significant and productive population in America?”

Richina Bicette and Jasmine Brooks, two of the contestants, entered a tie-breaker round during which they answered a question about Barack Obama’s presidential campaign.

Bicette was the competition’s winner.

The Contestants

Richina Bicette: Obstetrician-Gynecologist
Jasmine Brooks: Public Relations graduate
Asia Davis: member of Congress
Vintaya Crawford: Medical student
Tierra Fair: Talk show host

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...