Let students decide how to use the lake

Lake Osceola is a central part of all of our lives. Walking around it, watching the jumping fish, having water blown in your face from Cobb Fountain, it affects us all. But one activity is noticeably absent – jumping in the lake.

Don’t wade, don’t swim and don’t boat. As long as you don’t actually enter the water, everything’s fine. Just ask the “Drunken Idiots” (see The Miami Hurricane, Nov. 11, 2005) and they’ll tell you that swimming in the lake can get you in quite a bit of trouble.

Miami is known as a tropical paradise. One of UM’s greatest assets is the lake, providing a beautiful backdrop to any picture. But students can’t utilize its full potential. There is a history of students diving into the murky waters of Lake Osceola without fear of persecution.

Sure, there are alligators (Or crocodiles? Or both?). And the water isn’t the most appealing. But why can’t students make the choice to swim in the lake by themselves?

And what about boating? Boats used to be rented out, allowing students a nice, relaxing lap around the lake. Now, the lake is bare, save for the occasional UNICCO worker motoring around.

And while we’re at it, why don’t we allow some scuba diving? We’re less than two hours away from the dive capital of the world, Key Largo, so why don’t we try to capitalize on that? Can you find the Volkswagen? Or maybe Ben Folds’ drum set? Or the remnants of the first homecoming burning boat ceremony? Maybe you could collect old beer bottles? It’s a treasure hunt!

As always, change must come slowly. Don’t run out and buy a dive suit just yet. But wouldn’t it be nice to get your toes a little wet without going to Key Biscayne?

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...