Let students decide how to use the lake

Lake Osceola is a central part of all of our lives. Walking around it, watching the jumping fish, having water blown in your face from Cobb Fountain, it affects us all. But one activity is noticeably absent – jumping in the lake.

Don’t wade, don’t swim and don’t boat. As long as you don’t actually enter the water, everything’s fine. Just ask the “Drunken Idiots” (see The Miami Hurricane, Nov. 11, 2005) and they’ll tell you that swimming in the lake can get you in quite a bit of trouble.

Miami is known as a tropical paradise. One of UM’s greatest assets is the lake, providing a beautiful backdrop to any picture. But students can’t utilize its full potential. There is a history of students diving into the murky waters of Lake Osceola without fear of persecution.

Sure, there are alligators (Or crocodiles? Or both?). And the water isn’t the most appealing. But why can’t students make the choice to swim in the lake by themselves?

And what about boating? Boats used to be rented out, allowing students a nice, relaxing lap around the lake. Now, the lake is bare, save for the occasional UNICCO worker motoring around.

And while we’re at it, why don’t we allow some scuba diving? We’re less than two hours away from the dive capital of the world, Key Largo, so why don’t we try to capitalize on that? Can you find the Volkswagen? Or maybe Ben Folds’ drum set? Or the remnants of the first homecoming burning boat ceremony? Maybe you could collect old beer bottles? It’s a treasure hunt!

As always, change must come slowly. Don’t run out and buy a dive suit just yet. But wouldn’t it be nice to get your toes a little wet without going to Key Biscayne?