Events on campus

Party for politics

Sporting “Voters are Sexy” orange T-shirts, members of the Council for Democracy hosted a primary watch party Tuesday night. When students weren’t attentively watching the election results scroll on the TV screen or eating slices of pizza, they played political-themed Jeopardy and bingo. Miles Strebeck, the Council for Democracy event chair, said the intention of the event was “to get people involved and provide a fun party atmosphere and time for discussion.”

Historical children’s books

The Cuban Heritage Collection opened its new exhibit at the Richter Library on Thursday, “200 Years of Cuban Children’s Books.” Books from various decades with colorful illustrations were on display while guest speaker Antonio Orlando Rodriguéz gave a presentation about Cuban children’s authors and their contributions to the literary genre, as well as discussing the moral, educational, cultural and religious importance of their work.

Get your groove on for charity

Students turned out Saturday for the “Zumba Groove and Move for Charity” at the Wellness Center, where participants enjoyed learning popular new Latin dance routines while getting a vigorous cardio workout. Proceeds were donated to the United Way, an organization that works to mobilize community projects to improve the living standards of people in need.

Taking a shot at love

From a Boston terrier to the current Miss Miami, everyone had a shot at love during the Asian American Student Association’s annual charity date auction Friday night at Clarke Recital Hall. Close to 100 UM and FIU students showed that they were not cheap dates, while shouting out bids ranging from $25 to $170. More than $1,500 was raised during the event, which will go to the American Cancer Society.

UBS hosts scholarship pageant

Five University of Miami students competed in the Miss Black and Gold Scholarship Pageant last Thursday, answering questions ranging from the economy to Barack Obama’s presidential campaign. “This pageant is a symbol of our pride for the achievements the African Diaspora has contributed to society,” said Islamiyat Adebisi, President of the Office of United Black Students. This year’s theme was “The Evolution of Black,” and the winner was Richina Bicette. TheMiamiHurricane.com has the complete story.

-Compiled by Stephanie Genuardi, Analisa Harangozo and Nina Ruggiero

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Sophomore Evan McKendry rebounded with a dazzling start, and No. 24 Miami handed No. 1 Florida its f ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...