Country’s largest ‘teach-in’ focused on global warming

The University of Miami participated in the largest teach-in in United States history last week, which focused on global-warming solutions.

Focus the Nation occurred at more than 1,000 universities in all 50 states. The event began on Wednesday night at the Cox Science Building where Sustainable U hosted a viewing of the “2% Solution” Web cast.

Throughout Thursday morning and afternoon on the UC patio, there were panel presentations by UM faculty members on the topics of national security and global climate change, environmental history and pedagogy, sustainable architecture and urbanism, environmental decision making and sea level rise and the law.

The event concluded with a “Green Democracy” round-table discussion between students and elected leaders Thursday night.

The Environmental Decision Making panel drew approximately 60 students and community members. The panelists included College of Engineering professor Antonio Nanni, biology professor Matthew Potts, and Department of Geography and Regional Studies research associate Rinku Chowdhury.

Chowdhury emphasized that it is “unequivocal that climate change is real,” and though there are averages predicted with relation to sea level rise, the impacts will be “geographically uneven.”

A Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science professor in the audience noted that a recent report concluded that the infrastructure most at risk due to rising sea level is that of the city of Miami.

Potts stressed that the “decisions we make today will have ramifications far, far away, but there are ways to mitigate it [global warming].”

He recommended students take small steps such as taking shorter showers and not idling in the car with the air conditioning on.

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...