Country’s largest ‘teach-in’ focused on global warming

The University of Miami participated in the largest teach-in in United States history last week, which focused on global-warming solutions.

Focus the Nation occurred at more than 1,000 universities in all 50 states. The event began on Wednesday night at the Cox Science Building where Sustainable U hosted a viewing of the “2% Solution” Web cast.

Throughout Thursday morning and afternoon on the UC patio, there were panel presentations by UM faculty members on the topics of national security and global climate change, environmental history and pedagogy, sustainable architecture and urbanism, environmental decision making and sea level rise and the law.

The event concluded with a “Green Democracy” round-table discussion between students and elected leaders Thursday night.

The Environmental Decision Making panel drew approximately 60 students and community members. The panelists included College of Engineering professor Antonio Nanni, biology professor Matthew Potts, and Department of Geography and Regional Studies research associate Rinku Chowdhury.

Chowdhury emphasized that it is “unequivocal that climate change is real,” and though there are averages predicted with relation to sea level rise, the impacts will be “geographically uneven.”

A Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science professor in the audience noted that a recent report concluded that the infrastructure most at risk due to rising sea level is that of the city of Miami.

Potts stressed that the “decisions we make today will have ramifications far, far away, but there are ways to mitigate it [global warming].”

He recommended students take small steps such as taking shorter showers and not idling in the car with the air conditioning on.

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...

A ninth-inning solo home from Pittsburgh proved the difference Friday night, as Miami dropped the se ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Straight-set victories at the top four singles positions brought the University of Miami men's ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...