AASA’s A Shot at Love Date Auction

White paper “XOXs” littered the industrial gray carpet of the Clarke Recital Hall during last Friday’s “A Shot at Love” date auction.

The date auction is an annual event hosted by the Asian American Student Association, whose proceeds go to different charities every year. Half of last year’s earnings – about $1,000 – went to the American Heart Association. This year, a portion of the proceeds will be granted to the American Cancer Society. The rest of the money will be funneled back to fundraising for the AASA’s numerous cultural events in hopes of unifying the Asian community.

One of the features of the date auction included a game of suck-and-blow. The winner, Khiem Nguyen, was blindfolded as he waited on stage for Kitty to give him his “reward.” To his dismay and the noisy laughter of the audience, his reward was Keith Preciados, a University of Miami student, who ripped through the paper heart and danced across the stage.

The night’s festivities did not stop there. After every challenge, a series of auctions took place, among which some of the more colorful performances of the evening took place.

Garbed in their traditional Raas costumes, Janki Amin and Roma Mehta performed a duet neo-modern Indian dance.

Miss Miami herself, Tera Szczepanski, sang Miss Saigon’s Last Night of the World in her crown and decorative sash.

UM’s very own Mag Ka Isa dance troupe broke it down to Daft Punk’s Technologic.

There were off beat routines like Khiem Nguyen’s beat boxing, David Goldberg’s flamboyant strip tease, and a group of FIU students who break danced to the beat of the audience’s claps.

As the auction came to an end, those that got auctioned off exchanged phone numbers with the person that bought them with the intention of setting up a date. And who knows, maybe love really awaits those lucky couples.

Ivette Figueroa may be contacted at i.figueroa@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...