Students come out for on-campus block party

Despite juggling their busy workloads, class schedules and study groups, some students were able to make time for one more thing on Tuesday: voting.

The BankUnited Center served as the University of Miami polling center Tuesday for the Florida primary elections. According to the Miami-Dade County Elections Department, approximately 1,488 voters are registered to vote at UM’s precinct and 1,000 of them are between the ages of 18 and 29. The voter turnout for this week’s election will not be determined until next week, according to the elections department.

To encourage students to vote, members of Council for Democracy, Young Democrats, College Republicans and Get Out the Vote held a block party in front of the BankUnited Center from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

There was music, free food, free T-shirts and dozens of patriotic red and blue balloons decorating the area. Each organization sponsored a table with information on voting and the different candidates.

Sebastian the Ibis also made an appearance dressed up as a political candidate in a black suit and tie, and complimentary shuttle service from the University Center to the BankUnited Center was offered until voting closed at 7 p.m.

Despite the efforts to bring students out to vote, the scene at the block party was relatively quiet. Only a few students were seen lingering at the tables, and the lines to vote were virtually nonexistent.

“I think a lot of people did early voting, which started about two weeks ago,” said senior Christie Miller, chairman of College Republicans.

While the turnout at the block party was small, some first time voters were pleased with the efforts to encourage students to vote.

“I was glad that they had stuff reminding people to get out and vote,” said freshman Scott Monat, referring to the table on the UC Rock urging students to vote. “They tried to get a good turnout, but it didn’t look like it happened.”

Natalie Riera may be contacted at n.riera@umiami.edu.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...