Sports Briefs

Swimming and Diving
Canes take tri-meet

Florida Gulf Coast and Florida International University proved to be no match for the University of Miami Hurricanes, as Miami defeated both teams in a tri-meet, 169-70 and 167-63, respectively. Ryann Labreche, Britta Boesing and Annika Saarnak all came up big for the Canes, as they swam away with two individual victories apiece. The Hurricanes were able to secure victories in all but two events.

Women’s Tennis
Hurricanes win easily

The No. 11 Miami Hurricanes women’s tennis team ran away with a 7-0 victory over Florida Atlantic University. Laura Vallverdu and Romy Farah both recorded 6-0, 6-0 victories in singles competition, and no Hurricane dropped more than two games in any single set, as they all cruised to secure straight set victories.

Baseball
Another top-15 ranking

The University of Miami baseball team racked up their fourth top-15 preseason ranking, as they have now been ranked as No. 14 by the USA Today/ESPN Coaches poll. The Hurricanes have also been ranked No. 14 by Collegiate Baseball. They were ranked as No. 12 by the National Collegiate Baseball Writer’s Association and No. 10 by Baseball America.

Women’s Soccer
Steinbruch invited to join national team

Miami Hurricanes’ freshman forward Brittney Steinbruch has been invited to join the United States Under-20 Women’s Soccer National Team training camp. United States Head Coach Jillian Ellis has currently invited 26 players to camp.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com. Written by Pravin Patel.

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...