Recruiting Part II: Analysis and player predictions

On offense, Miami has recruited well at wide receiver and quarterback, but it has only targeted one running back (Harper) who they believe is a stud. They look to be in the lead for his services at this point, and he will add to a deep stable of backs on the roster. Ben Jones becomes the other key offensive recruit left on the board, as he would give the Canes two solid offensive line prospects in this class. Look for Jones and Harper to sign with the Canes. Streeter will probably head out of state or to USF, and Randy Shannon will presumably choose between Moore, an athletic marvel at tight end, Byrd and Odoms for the last offensive scholarship.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Hurricanes have already loaded up at the linebacker and defensive tackle positions, strengthening the core of the defense that has been weak as of late. However, they are still looking to add at least two cornerbacks and another defensive end. The main targets are Liuget and Hardin to fill the need at defensive end, with both leaning toward the Canes at the moment.

At corner, the big three targets are Harris, Bryant and Lawrence, in that order. Harris is the number one prospect left on the Miami board, and Bryant and Lawrence are both studs who were once long shots but are now realistic options. Miami should get two of these three, as well as Baker and one of the California boys, as a safety.

Dan Stein may be contacted at d.stein4@umiami.edu.

TO READ Recruiting Part I, click here..

TO READ read Dan Stein’s recruiting blog, The Future U, click here.

Expected targets for 2008 football class

RB

Jaime Harper (Trinity Christian High, Fla.) – Big, fast running back who could play right away in short yardage situations.

WR

Tommy Streeter (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – Tall, lanky deep threat.

Laron Byrd (Hahnville High, La.) – Big and athletic, could turn into a tight end.

Martavious Odoms (Pahokee High, Fla.) -Very similar to Darnell Jenkins.

TE

Brandon Moore (Trotwood-Madison High, Ohio) – Huge red zone target.

OL

Ben Jones (Miami Northwestern High, Fla) – Long and athletic, he could be the sleeper of the class.

DL

Corey Liuget (Hialeah High, Fla.) – Liuget is a freak athlete on the line and one prospect that would hurt to lose.

Nick Perry (MLK Jr. High, Mich,) – Set state sack record but is a long-shot at best to leave home.

LB

Gavin Hardin (Central-Merry High, Tenn.) – Huge kid that projects at defensive end in college.

DB

T.J. Bryant (Lincoln High, Fla.) – Top athlete will be hard to steal from Nole territory.

Brandon Harris (Booker T. Washington High, Fla.) – The top prospect left on Miami’s board, he is a must-get.

Alonzo Lawrence (George County High, Miss.) – Elite prospect that has warmed to Miami as of late.

Vaughn Telemaque (Long Beach Polytechnic, Calif.) – Athletic safety prospect who has risen up recruiting boards as of late.

Herman Davidson (Long Beach Polytechnic, Calif.) – Big and athletic, could be a bandit-type linebacker or a big- hitting safety.

George Baker (Archbishop Carroll High School, Fla.) – Local target who makes plays despite diminutive stature.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...