Recruiting part I: Firm commitments

This article originally appeared online on Jan. 28, 2007

Jacory Harris (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – Tall and skinny; was Mr. Football for the state of Florida. Enrolled in January in order to compete for the starting position.

Taylor Cook (Rice Consolidated High, Texas) – Huge QB prospect who is considered by some to be the most athletic player in this class.

Cannon Smith (Hargrave Military Academy, Va.) – Went the prep school route for a year after high school graduation and enrolled at UM in January.

Running Backs

Patrick Hill (El Camino Community College, Calif.) – Devastating lead blocker who should make an instant impact at fullback.

John Calhoun (Sebastian River High, Fla.) – Little-known recruit who can play multiple positions.

Wide Receivers

Aldarious Johnson (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – A very polished wide receiver who is big and fast. Enrolled in January; coaches think he could be an immediate starter.

Kendall Thompkins (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – The playmaker on the Northwestern team that was full of Division I recruits.

Davon Johnson (Booker T. Washington High, Fla.) – Blazingly fast and athletic, could also play cornerback and return kicks.

Thearon Collier (Booker T. Washington High, Fla.) – Undersized jitterbug who has drawn comparisons to former Hurricane Roscoe Parrish.

Travis Benjamin (Glades Central High, Fla.) – Undersized speedster who was a playmaker throughout his high school career.

Offensive Linemen

Brandon Washington (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – Big man who projects as a guard in college after playing left tackle in high school.

Defensive Linemen

Marcus Forston (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – The number one ranked defensive tackle in the country who enrolled in January to compete for playing time.

Micanor Regis (Pahokee High, Fla.) – Dominant high school lineman who committed to the Canes early and never wavered.

Jeremy Lewis (Palm Beach Lakes High, Fla.) – Big and wide, Lewis is very athletic but a bit raw as a defensive tackle prospect.

Andrew Smith (Monarch High, Fla.) – Sleeper defensive end recruit whom coaches envision as a speed pass rusher.

Sean Spence (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – Undersized, instinctive linebacker that enrolled in January in order to compete for starting time.

Arthur Brown (Wichita East High, Kan.) – Number one linebacker recruit in the nation according to many. Enrolled in January in order to compete for starting time.

Marcus Robinson (Homestead High, Fla.) – Freak athlete who could play linebacker or defensive end.

Zach Kane (North High, N.J.) – Big, tough linebacker who will compete for the middle linebacker job.

Brandon Marti (Gulliver Prep, Fla.) – Undersized but hits like a big man at linebacker.

Antonio Harper (Melrose High, Tenn.) – Tall and lean, probably projects as a defensive end in college.

Jordan Futch (Chaminade Madonna High, Fla.) – Tall, rangy prospect at linebacker.

Defensive Backs

CJ Holton (Wakulla High, Fla.) – One of the top safety recruits on the nation, he is big and fast in the defensive backfield.

Joe Wylie (Boyd Anderson High, Fla.) – Physical specimen that played quarterback in high school.

CJ Odom (Fort Myers High, Fla.) – Big and fast, Odom could be a linebacker, safety, or fullback.

Jake Wieclaw (Lincoln Way Central High, Ill.) – Might have the biggest impact of any freshman this season after enrolling in January. Coaches expect him to be the starting kicker.

Dan Stein may be contacted at

TO READ “Recruiting part II,” click here.

TO READ Dan Stein’s recruiting blog, The Future U, click here.

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

The Kislak Center opens, aims to advance new forms of scholarship and build bridges across the Unive ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s Miami-spiced book talk spotlighted the One Book, One U initiative. ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek to continue its perfect record at home Frid ...

Amy Deem and the Hurricanes will travel to Los Angeles to compete at the Power 5 Trail Blazer Challe ...

The University of Miami baseball program will host its third annual 'Bark in the Park' gam ...

Miami sophomore guard declares for NBA Draft but will not hire agent. ...

In search of its fourth series win of the spring, the Miami Hurricanes host No. 24 Virginia from Mar ...