Med School Briefs

Miami Project co-founder awarded prestigious award

Barth Green, neurosurgeon and co-founder of The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, received the 2007 James W. McLamore Outstanding Service Award last Wednesday at the Mailman Center for Child Development. Green co-founded Project Medishare, a nonprofit medical initiative meant to provide the people of poor Haitian towns with healthcare. He has also co-founded the Shake-A-Leg project that helps physically disabled children and adults explore Biscayne Bay. The award is given to a member of the university community who has demonstrated great commitment and desire to service the institution and community. The award was established in 1987 and is named in honor of the co-founder of Burger King and former chair of the board of trustees. Green is the third Miller School faculty member in the last four years to receive the McLamore Award.

New Hispanic Community Health Study

In a few weeks, researchers from the Miller School will begin the Hispanic Community Health Study, a six-and-a-half year $61 million research project meant to improve knowledge of the health status of the Latin American population living in the United States. Physicians, epidemiologists, nurses, psychologists and community educators spanning across several disciplines will work on the study. The project is primarily funded by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute along with six other components of the National Institutes of Health. This specific study is the largest long-term epidemiological study of health and disease in Mexican-Americans, Puerto Ricans, Cuban-Americans and Central/South Americans. Investigators will research prevalence and risk factors for a wide variety of diseases, disorders and conditions, and determine the role of cultural adaptation and disparities in the development of diseases.

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...