UM grad sells shoes as art in South Beach

While most college seniors spend their final year applying to grad schools or going to job interviews, 2007 graduate Jason Fishbein had it all figured out. In his final two years at the University of Miami, the Baltimore native went from selling sneakers in the back of his Buick to becoming one of Miami’s hottest entrepreneurs.

The shoes Fishbein carried in the trunk of his car included modified and customized versions of the shoes he received directly from manufacturers

“At first I just did it to make a little extra cash,” Fishbein said. “I saw there was a demand for it at school. At first I would buy 12 pairs at one time and I sold them all in a matter of a week.”

According to Fishbein, his first customers on campus were UM athletes. Fishbein would drive his Buick to the athletic center each day around 4 p.m. as practices were letting out.

Using his dorm as a stock room, Fishbein continued ordering customized sneakers to fit the campus’ demand. As he realized the potential of what started as a hobby, he began selling off campus. The streets of South Beach proved to be even more profitable.

“I was selling on the street making connections with other shoe artists,” he said.

Pursuing these connections, Fishbein began flying all over the country to attend fashion shows and meet with artists.

“I was doing whatever I could to get artists on my side,” he said.

Fishbein is currently working with some of the most well-known tattoo artists in the nation. In November he opened J Fish Kicks, located on Collins Avenue in South Beach. Customized handmade sneakers range in price from $200 to $2,000 per pair.

“I didn’t want just anyone. I wanted the best artists out there,” Fishbein explained. “We currently have eight artists and each artist does something different.” The artists who design and create sneakers for Fishbein include Chris Garver from Miami Ink, Cope2, a world famous graffiti artist, and Mister Cartoon, a Los Angeles-based artist who has done tattoos for stars such as Eminem and 50 Cent.

With his sneaker empire well on its way, Fishbein said he genuinely enjoys what he does.

“I get to meet a lot of different people, a lot of ball players and rappers,” he said.

After only being open for two months, J Fish Kicks is currently in the process of designing customized sneakers for rapper Flo-Rida.

Although he enjoys working with celebrities, Fishbein also likes to hear from average shoppers.

“Everybody has something to say about the store and everybody has an opinion,” Fishbein said. “It’s just fun.”

J Fish Kicks
255 Collins Ave.
Miami Beach, FL
jfishkicks.com

Kendall Sale may be contacted at k.sale@miami.edu.

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...