Yellow Rose Society dances for charity

The Rathskeller took a break from serving hamburgers and milkshakes Friday night to dish out some hip-hop moves with a side of booty shaking during the Yellow Rose Society’s Second Annual Charity Dance-off.

The event, hosted by the Yellow Rose Society and the Rathskeller Advisory Board, bathed the crowd of about 100 people in tunes spun by DJ Face.

Though the event was free, donations were requested at the door to raise money for St. Albans Children’s Center, a shelter that houses kids who have been abandoned by their parents and are now cared for by the state of Florida.

The Yellow Rose Society, a community service organization that focuses on sisterhood, service and leadership, volunteers on Fridays at St. Albans by mentoring and tutoring children while also playing games, watching movies and taking them on fieldtrips. Last summer the Florida Marlins sponsored a field trip for the students and the children to go to a baseball game.

Elyse Phillips, Yellow Rose Society president, said that though society members volunteer frequently, Friday’s dance-off was their first sponsored charity event.

Apart from raising more than $160 for toys, books and games for children at St. Albans, the charity dance-off kept the party going until 2 a.m., closing time at the Rat.

The amount of people that showed up really impressed me,” said Deveon Ashe, a junior. “The DJ had the crowd pumped all night long and the music was so contagious.”

Analisa Harangozo may be contacted at a.harangozo@umiami.edu.

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...