Yellow Rose Society dances for charity

The Rathskeller took a break from serving hamburgers and milkshakes Friday night to dish out some hip-hop moves with a side of booty shaking during the Yellow Rose Society’s Second Annual Charity Dance-off.

The event, hosted by the Yellow Rose Society and the Rathskeller Advisory Board, bathed the crowd of about 100 people in tunes spun by DJ Face.

Though the event was free, donations were requested at the door to raise money for St. Albans Children’s Center, a shelter that houses kids who have been abandoned by their parents and are now cared for by the state of Florida.

The Yellow Rose Society, a community service organization that focuses on sisterhood, service and leadership, volunteers on Fridays at St. Albans by mentoring and tutoring children while also playing games, watching movies and taking them on fieldtrips. Last summer the Florida Marlins sponsored a field trip for the students and the children to go to a baseball game.

Elyse Phillips, Yellow Rose Society president, said that though society members volunteer frequently, Friday’s dance-off was their first sponsored charity event.

Apart from raising more than $160 for toys, books and games for children at St. Albans, the charity dance-off kept the party going until 2 a.m., closing time at the Rat.

The amount of people that showed up really impressed me,” said Deveon Ashe, a junior. “The DJ had the crowd pumped all night long and the music was so contagious.”

Analisa Harangozo may be contacted at a.harangozo@umiami.edu.

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...