UPDATE: Grogg speaks to Syracuse students at hour-long session

UPDATE: Jan. 25, 2:50 A.M.

Sam L Grogg, dean of the UM School of Communication, spoke with 100 Syracuse University communication students at an hour-long session Thursday, the Daily Orange reported.

The Orange also reported the following:

Grogg discussed his potential vision to uphold a reputation of excellence at Newhouse, if he were to be selected and accept the position. He also addressed students concerns about what he had told The Miami Hurricane Tuesday night.

Before he went for the visit, Grogg told The Hurricane he had no intention to leave UM.

“It’s tough. When you’re really in the midst of change and you’re as connected as I am to the students and supportive as I am of the student newspaper-to say that you might be leaving, it’s hard for both sides,” the Orange said, quoting Grogg.

Grogg also said the following, the Orange reported:

“When Newhouse calls, you answer the call,” he said. “You’ve set the agenda, you’ve set the stage and the rest of the schools are looking at this one.”

Some of his words at the question-and-answer session were more personal.

“We knew – and know – that Miami isn’t a place we plan to be permanently rooted,” the Orange quoted Grogg as saying, referring to him and his wife.

Grogg will leave today after further meetings with Newhouse and Syracuse officials.

Continue to check TheMiamiHurricane.com for updates.

Syracuse story:
Dean candidate discusses future amidst uncertainties: Grogg visits from Miami, spends hour answering student questions, concerns

UPDATE: Jan. 24, 1:15 P.M.

Sam L Grogg, dean of the School of Communication, is visiting Syracuse University Thursday and Friday as one of two candidates for the top spot at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.

“I have made no decisions nor have any decision yet to make about the candidacy,” Grogg said in an e-mail to The Miami Hurricane.

He will address a student-only audience Thursday afternoon, The Daily Orange reported. A link to their full story is below:

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...