University changes merit-based scholarship process for undergrads

POSTED JAN. 25 AT 8:34 P.M.

The university administration recently changed the merit-based scholarship application process, according to an e-mail sent out to students in the School of Communication last week.

Undergraduate students applying for award-based scholarships will now be required to go through the Office of Financial Assistance, instead of the various schools and colleges.

Students must also fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid form, which is due by Feb. 1

This change came as a surprise to many faculty members, who were not aware that the process would be changing.

“You know more than I do,” said Tsitsi Wakhisi, a journalism professor and scholarship committee member.

In the past, students did not need to fill out a FAFSA to be considered for merit awards, but Provost Thomas J. LeBlanc said in an e-mail to The Miami Hurricane that the change came partly because the school-based awards were being given to current students without regard to need, and not allocated efficiently.

“In several schools, endowed scholarship funds were not even awarded each year,” the e-mail said.

Nevertheless, Joe Montgomery, a counselor with the office of admissions, said the School of Communication and the School of Business “did a good job allocating their scholarship money.”

LeBlanc, who was also questioned about the FAFSA’s ability to determine scholarships that are based solely on merit, responded in an e-mail, saying, “Other kinds of information in the application (high school transcript, SAT scores, letters of reference from guidance counselors, etc.) can be used to identify merit for students applying to UM.”

However, it is unclear how these changes will affect the amount of money allocated to current and international students, and how much of a factor financial need will now play under the new process.

LeBlanc agreed to an in-person interview with The Miami Hurricane scheduled for Monday, at which time he will clarify.

James Bauer, director of the Office of Financial Assistance declined to comment.

When asked how SAT scores and high-school transcripts could be used to determine the achievements of a student already enrolled at the university, Bauer said all such questions needed to be addressed by LeBlanc.

To Know:

FAFSA forms may be filed online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Students will need to have income tax returns, bank statements and investment records on hand to fill out the lengthy forms. To speed up the process, the Web site recommends signing the forms electronically, which requires students and their parents to apply for a personal identification number.

The Office of Financial Assistance Services is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and until 6 p.m. on Wednesdays.

Continue to check

Liana Kozlowski may be contacted at l.kozlowski@umiami.edu and Bryan Llenas may be contacted at b.llenas@umiami.edu.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...