Med School Briefs

Gene mutation for genetic mystery identified

A gene associated with spinal-muscular atrophy linked to the X chromosome, a rare pediatric disease, was recently identified by Dr. Lisa Baumbach-Reardon of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine in conjunction with the Technical University of Munich, Germany. Spinal-muscular atrophy is a neurodegenerative disorder that results in severely weakened muscles in male infants. The majority of infected individuals do not survive two years after birth. Baumbach-Reardon and her team of researchers identified the responsible genetic mutation on gene UBE1 of the X chromosome in 2006, and presenting it last week provided a long-awaited answer to those who lost children to the disorder. Working with genetic information from an afflicted family, researchers hope to obtain grants for mouse and yeast testing and find a cure.

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...