KEYS TO THE GAME:: Miami v. UNC

Miami

What went wrong?

The Canes couldn’t find an answer for guard Ty Lawson. By halftime, Lawson already passed his season average and finished with 23 points.

Turnovers and miscues plagued the Canes in the second half which allowed North Carolina to increase the lead and eventually put them out of reach.

They simply just couldn’t stop the beast, Tyler Hansbrough, in the middle. His inside presence was too much for Miami. Anybody the Hurricanes threw at him, Hansbrough just brushed off. He had a season high with 35 points.

Once again Jack McClinton wasn’t a factor in the first half. The past two games, he has a combined five points in the opening half.

What went right?

Miami has found the point guard they have been looking for, just in time for a strong ACC run. Hurdle showed he could be play with the top point guards in the nation. Hurdle set a career high with 20 points.

The Hurricanes didn’t come out with a hangover from the NC State loss and showed they were capable of running with the Tar Heels.

Not a single body on the court matched the intensity that forward Raymond Hicks brought to the game in the first half, leading the Canes with 14 points and then setting a career high with 17 points.

The Miami backcourt combined for 41 points and proved they’re worthy of playing with the one of the best teams in the nation.

NORTH CAROLINA

What went wrong?

Eventually, North Carolina will have to learn how to play stiff defense in the first half. The Tar Heels allowed the Canes to shot 50 percent.

North Carolina allowed Miami to stay in the game for too long. The Tar Heels can not allow ACC opponents to hang around.

What went right?

At times Hansbrough looked agitated, but once he settled down the Canes couldn’t stop him from scoring and getting to the line.

Once Lawson gets his jump shot going, he becomes extremely hard to defend and shows why he is one of the best point guards in the nation. Lawson was getting the paint at free will and allowed him to dictate the pace of the game.

Final Thoughts: “In my mind they are the best team in the nation,” said coach Frank Haith.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...

The University of Miami baseball team will host visiting Pittsburgh for a three-game series beginnin ...

Johnson, Mack and McGusty join Hurricanes' program for 2018-19 season. ...

Kasey Crider was named Miami volleyball's associate head coach after three seasons on head coac ...