Case closed for three students arrested last semester

Three University of Miami students were released on probation Dec. 5 after being accused in October of felony, battery and burglary charges.

According to court records, Arya Karamooz, a sophomore from Los Angeles, was released on five years probation with his case listed as closed. He was charged with two felonies, battery and burglary with assault.

The other two students, Cash Bernard, a junior and business major from Roslyn, N.Y., and Michael Duchon, a junior and entrepreneurship major from Warren, N.J., had all three misdemeanor charges of assault, battery and trespassing withheld. They received three years probation.

When asked if the charges against the three students would result in disciplinary action by the University of Miami, Dean of Students Ricardo Hall told The Miami Hurricane that he cannot divulge such information about student’s private data.

However, Hall noted that the university’s process for investigating the accused individuals will follow the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook.

The handbook classifies battery as a major offense that may result in suspension or expulsion.

The three students, who were arrested after entering sophomore Michael Rappaport’s condo and demanding drugs, were all released to their parents.

A representative from the Miami City Clerks Office said that because none of the students are Florida residents, they are also allowed to continue their required community service out-of-state.

This decision was decided by the judge and may vary from case to case.

Erika Capek may be contacted at e.capek@umiami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...