BEST OF MOVIES: PT Anderson, Sean Penn make the year past a classic one

Top 5 of 2007

“The Lives of Others”
This Oscar-winner packs the entertainment value of a summer blockbuster while maintaining the quality of an art-house gem.

“The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford”
An epic, thoughtful look at idolatry and its consequences. From a technical standpoint, it’s the best movie of 2007.

“Into the Wild”
The most inspiring film of the year shows a deeply personal journey that makes life worth living for one man.

“There Will Be Blood”
“There Will Be Blood” follows the making of a monster in a quest for wealth and power.
The film belongs to Daniel Day-Lewis, who cements his place as the greatest living actor today.

“The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters”
A documentary about two men competing to set the record in Donkey Kong. Definitely the most entertaining film of 2007.

5 To Look For in 2008

“Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull”
Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford return for the fourth installment in the series.

“The Dark Knight”
Heath Ledger plays a very twisted version of the Joker in a decidedly darker take on the Batman story.

“City of God” director adapts a Nobel Prize-winning novel about a plague of “white blindness” that infects everyone.

“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”
Director David Fincher adapts an F. Scott Fitzgerald story about a man who begins to age backwards.

“Burn After Reading”
The Coen Brothers, George Clooney and Brad Pitt show what happens when a CIA disk falls into the wrong hands.

Gabe Habash may be contacted at s.habash1@umiami.edu.

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

View some of the best pictures from the No. 31 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 victory ove ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...