Volleyball bond grows over rough season

The Miami Hurricanes’ volleyball team finished the season with a 14-17 record and struggled in the ACC, finishing with an 8-14 conference record.

The Canes ended the season with two more wins than last year and swept their final two matches.

Regardless of what the record may indicate, the team feels they had a great experience with each other this season.

“We all enjoyed playing together,” sophomore Genny Mayhew said. “We also enjoyed being around each other. We showed a lot of growth this season. We managed to get some really impressive wins.”

Over the season the Canes grew a strong bond with one another.

“It was a group that really thrives on being together and they worked well as a team,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “They got along great. It is a really fun group to be around.”

Most of the players still found enjoyment from the season despite the losses.

“We all enjoyed the road trips the most,” senior Ciara Michel said. “We get pretty crazy on the buses and we were always singing and playing games. We all enjoy each other’s company a lot.”

Michel capped off her stellar career at UM with another strong season. She moved into fifth all time at the school with 961 kills. With Miami’s blocks record already in hand, Michel padded her stats with 140 total blocks this year. She finished her career with 573 total blocks, two hundred more total blocks than second place.

Michel leaves Miami with 12 school records.

With seniors Michel and Michelle Bruin leaving, Miami found new players to build around this season.

The Canes are a young team with five freshmen and four sophomores.

“We had a few players that came into their own,” Lantagne Welch said. “We had Genny Mayhew on the outside and became a dominant outside hitter. We had Katie Gallagher as a freshman who took over the reins as our setter. Every player has their key improvements and that was good for us.”

Mayhew led the team with 428 kills, sixth highest in a single season. She also broke a school record with 25 kills in a three-game set midway through the season.

In her first collegiate season, Gallagher finished with 1,234 assists, which is the second most ever by a Cane in a season. She is already in third place in career assists. Gallagher also tallied 67 serving aces, the most ever in school history, breaking the record by nearly 20 aces. In her second match of the season, Gallagher set a school record with 11 aces in a match.

In addition to Gallagher, sophomore Cassie Loessberg ended the year with a school record of 552 digs in a season. Loessberg set a school record with 49 digs in one match. In two seasons, Loessberg is fifth all time in career digs.

“We have a lot of experience coming back next year and that’s exciting,” Lantagne Welch said.

The Canes have seen plenty of ups and downs this year, but they feel the trials and tribulations of this year will have a benefit down the road.

“We did struggle a lot but I do think it’s going to pay off next year because we have more experience,” Mayhew said. “Parts of this season we look pretty good.”

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...