School announces ‘University of Miami Hospital’

POSTED DEC. 7 AT 12:32 P.M.

The University of Miami ended final negotiations Nov. 30 for the purchase of Cedars Medical Center.

The newly renamed University of Miami Hospital will be the first UM-owned hospital since the inception of the 55-year-old Miller School of Medicine.

Most Cedars medical staff will continue to work with UM at the 560-bed, single-room facility, and nurses, technicians and other staff will become UM employees.

Also, the university plans to expand certain specialty areas such as cardiology, urology and orthopedics.

“With this new flagship hospital, our top-ranked physicians will forge a new era in University of Miami-delivered care,” medical school Dean Pascal J. Goldschmidt said in a press release. “This academic medical center will become a true medical destination.”

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...