School announces ‘University of Miami Hospital’

POSTED DEC. 7 AT 12:32 P.M.

The University of Miami ended final negotiations Nov. 30 for the purchase of Cedars Medical Center.

The newly renamed University of Miami Hospital will be the first UM-owned hospital since the inception of the 55-year-old Miller School of Medicine.

Most Cedars medical staff will continue to work with UM at the 560-bed, single-room facility, and nurses, technicians and other staff will become UM employees.

Also, the university plans to expand certain specialty areas such as cardiology, urology and orthopedics.

“With this new flagship hospital, our top-ranked physicians will forge a new era in University of Miami-delivered care,” medical school Dean Pascal J. Goldschmidt said in a press release. “This academic medical center will become a true medical destination.”

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will begin the final weekend of its regular season wi ...

Eight members of the University of Miami track and field team earned All-ACC Academic honors for the ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Nine members of the University of Miami track and field team will represent the Hurricanes at the Vi ...

A pair of University of Miami divers were selected to the All-ACC Academic Women's Swimming ...