Research vessel damages reef, does not report incident timely

A University of Miami marine research vessel crashed into a coral reef in Biscayne National Park on Oct. 13, but the crew did not notify authorities, said Jennifer Johnson, a U.S. Coast Guard spokesperson.

The incident was reported later by Otis Brown, dean of the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, who sent an “official memorandum” to Biscayne National Park, said university spokesperson Barbra Gonzalez. Gonzalez said she is not authorized to divulge information about the length of time it took to report the incident. Still, Brown will be leading an internal investigation.

Parks managers said it took 10 days to report the incident, The Miami Herald reported.

The vessel crashed on its way down Hawk Channel when it hit a reef southeast of Elliot Key. The captain and crew onboard were UM employees accompanied by members from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

“The master of the vessel is supposed to verbally notify the Coast Guard immediately,” Johnson said. “They then have five days to file a written report, a federal form, required for all vessels that run aground. They didn’t do either.”

Johnson added that the university could face civil penalties in addition to having their license suspended or revoked. The Department of the Interior will handle consequences of damage done to the environment.

The U.S. Coast Guard is investigating the crew for possible negligence and for failing to immediately report the grounding to marine safety officers. Brown said the captain did not report the incident because after the crash he determined the vessel was still fit to sail.

Brown said the incident was not properly reported but that it was not intended to be covered up.

“We are all quite concerned about any damage to the environment and are particularly concerned about local coral ecosystems,” Brown said. “We have offered to work with the Park Service to repair any damage. Moreover, we are reviewing and strengthening all sailing procedures to minimize the possibility of any future accidents.”

Chelsea Kate Isaacs may be contacted at c.isaacs1@umiami.edu

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...