Reports: Kirby to transfer to Baylor

POSTED DEC. 28 AT 5:57 P.M.

Kirby Freeman, who was initially named UM’s starting quarterback this season, has requested a release from scholarship and is looking to possibly transfer to a school closer to home in Texas, The Miami Herald reported last night, citing multiple UM sources.

Baylor coach Art Briles told the Waco (Texas) Tribune-Herald Thursday that the school received Freeman’s release from Miami last week.

Freeman, who walked at UM’s spring 2007 graduation and received his degree in sports administration, is originally from Brownwood, Texas, where his father is a high school football coach.

The younger Freeman would have been the only returning quarterback for the Canes next season. Freshman Robert Marve was redshirted this past season after injuring his non-throwing hand last summer in a car accident.

Miami is also welcoming what many consider to be a strong quarterback class, headlined by Miami Northwestern’s Jacory Harris. He and three-star recruit Cannon Smith will enroll next month, while Taylor Cook will join the team next fall.

Freeman’s highlight at UM will be the comeback drive against FSU this year, completing all three attempts on the drive, including a 13-yard Dedrick Epps touchdown reception to give Miami a lead they would never relinquish.

He ends his career with a 46.7 percent passing percentage, 12 touchdowns and 16 interceptions.

Greg Linch may be contacted at gregl@miami.edu and Matt Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...

A ninth-inning solo home from Pittsburgh proved the difference Friday night, as Miami dropped the se ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Straight-set victories at the top four singles positions brought the University of Miami men's ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...