Reports: Kirby to transfer to Baylor

POSTED DEC. 28 AT 5:57 P.M.

Kirby Freeman, who was initially named UM’s starting quarterback this season, has requested a release from scholarship and is looking to possibly transfer to a school closer to home in Texas, The Miami Herald reported last night, citing multiple UM sources.

Baylor coach Art Briles told the Waco (Texas) Tribune-Herald Thursday that the school received Freeman’s release from Miami last week.

Freeman, who walked at UM’s spring 2007 graduation and received his degree in sports administration, is originally from Brownwood, Texas, where his father is a high school football coach.

The younger Freeman would have been the only returning quarterback for the Canes next season. Freshman Robert Marve was redshirted this past season after injuring his non-throwing hand last summer in a car accident.

Miami is also welcoming what many consider to be a strong quarterback class, headlined by Miami Northwestern’s Jacory Harris. He and three-star recruit Cannon Smith will enroll next month, while Taylor Cook will join the team next fall.

Freeman’s highlight at UM will be the comeback drive against FSU this year, completing all three attempts on the drive, including a 13-yard Dedrick Epps touchdown reception to give Miami a lead they would never relinquish.

He ends his career with a 46.7 percent passing percentage, 12 touchdowns and 16 interceptions.

Greg Linch may be contacted at gregl@miami.edu and Matt Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...