Report Card: Miami vs. Boston College

Quarterbacks: C
Kyle Wright earned an average grade by offsetting a good day running the ball and two touchdown passes by turning the ball over twice. While Wright did not achieve much during his career, he showed miles and miles of heart over the last two games, playing a tough brand of football and fighting the good fight with a high ankle sprain (for anyone questioning the severity of a high ankle sprain, check the NFL injury report this week).

Running Backs: C
Derron Thomas carried the load and ran hard, but did not do anything extraordinary.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends: C-
They made some good plays, but were plagued by drops and let Wright down far too often. Dedrick Epps is a future star.

Offensive Line: C
They kept Wright standing most of the game, but he was forced from the pocket more times than he should have been.

Defensive Line: B-
They played hard and got to BC’s Matt Ryan early, but were unable to apply pressure in the fourth quarter when the Eagles pulled away for the win.

Linebackers: B-
They did a good job of limiting Andre Callender in the passing game, and Colin McCarthy showed a lot of hustle. Tavares Gooden’s name was called early and often. They did nothing to change the game, and were more reactive than anything else.

Secondary: C
neven performance. Lovon Ponder was in on two turnovers. Kenny Phillips and Glenn Sharpe both had interceptions; Chavez Grant was picked on all game, and Ryan moved the ball at will in the fourth quarter.

Special Teams: F
Francesco Zampogna missed a chip shot field goal. The return game failed to produce any big plays.

Coaching: B-
Highest grade they can get without winning. The staff had a good game plan that kept the Canes in a game that they shouldn’t have been. Miami was in position to win the game, but the players simply did not execute. It didn’t look like the team quit in the second half as they have of late, and a lot of credit has to go to the staff for this.

Dan Stein may be contacted at d.stein@umiami.edu.

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...

Highlighted by a thrilling, three-set, top-five win by sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, the Miami w ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...