Letter to the editor

I think what UM should do is consider having a mandatory driving test before the issuance of parking permits (SARCASM ALERT! I understand this is not feasible).

If everybody at UM could figure out how to put their car between the lines, maybe there would be more spaces! Everybody complains about the lack of parking, but how many of those whiners swing their car with complete disregard for the lines of demarcation?

So maybe when the Parking Enforcement agents are driving around in their ticket mobiles, they should consider handing out a STIFF fine for cars monopolizing two spaces. How much is a commuter pass up to now? $8,479? Half of that sounds like a reasonable fine.

But seriously: How much is a cheap, 4-megapixel digital camera? Provide one camera per Parking & Traffic ticket mobile, and when the P&T agent sees an improperly parked car, snap a shot for proof and smack a ticket on there for $150. Then when the student whines and cries and tries to appeal, the school will have proof. Think of all the money! If it doesn’t encourage people to learn to drive and park, at the very least the school will be able to afford a new parking garage.

I was a commuter student who parked between the School of Communication and Pavia. I had early classes, therefore I never had a problem parking. What I noticed is the spaces are quite narrow, and it’s nearly impossible to fit a larger truck or SUV in the space adequately. I walked around once and counted how many wasted spaces there were because of this. It was an impressive number. So why not take a section of the parking lot and re-line it to accommodate oversized vehicles? Sure you may lose four or five spaces initially, but in the long run it would save so many more existing spaces because the right-sized cars can park in the right-sized space.

Maybe the problem here is that UM wants a quick solution instead of sitting down and putting a reasonable amount of thought into what the real problem is here; teach people to drive and park – don’t reward idiots with additional parking and raise permit prices to afford it.

– Tiffany
online comment

Green with gladness

I was elated when I picked up the most recent issue of The Hurricane and found so many stories about being green. Many of the stories emphasized the fact that students are extremely undereducated about the ways of sustainable living. However, thanks to The Hurricane, maybe some will be a little more aware of what they’re doing next time they’re about to trash their empty Coke bottle. I know I’m definitely going to check out some of those environmental books that were mentioned, maybe while trying out that organic wine.

– Jenny Burrows
Senior

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

Despite a career-best nine saves by Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the Miami soccer team dropped a 1-0 road d ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...