GOP candidates face off at forum (VIDEO and SLIDESHOW)

POSTED DEC. 10 AT 2:03 A.M.

While most of the Republican presidential candidates retreated to safe talking points during a Republican debate Sunday, Texas Rep. Ron Paul didn’t shy away as moderators tried to elicit unambiguous responses to issues ranging from immigration and border security to Hugo Chavez and Fidel Castro.

The forum, sponsored by Univision and hosted by the University of Miami, gave Republicans a chance to appeal to Hispanic voters.

“I think some of the rhetoric that many Hispanics hear about illegal immigration makes some of them believe that we are not in favor nor seek the support of Hispanic citizens in this country,” Arizona Sen. John McCain said.

McCain has enjoyed the distinction of being one of only two Republican candidates who agreed to attend the original Univision debate, which was initially planned for September. California Rep. Duncan Hunter was the other.

“I understand…the challenges that [Hispanic men and women] face,” McCain said. “And I’m proud to have developed the relationship that I have with the Hispanic community in my state and in this country.”

Most of the candidates expressed similar views, calling for “secured borders” and “compassion.” But Rep. Ron Paul proved a polarizing figure as he was met with loud boos as well as cheers when confronted about his foreign policies.

“[Hugo Chavez is] not the easiest person to deal with,” Paul said, “But we should deal with everybody around the world the same way: With friendship and opportunity to talk and try to trade with people.

Click above hear student thoughts and a few words from President Donna E. Shalala regarding the forum.

Video by Nicole Alibayof, Karyn Meshbane and Anthony Minerva
Edited by Matt Wallach

“We create the Chavezes of the world,” Paul continued amid thunderous boos and then applause. “We create the Castros of the world by interfering and creating chaos in their countries.”

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee quickly capitalized on what the audience seemed to view as a deficiency in Paul’s position.

“I think it’s one of the major reasons we need to become increasingly oil-free and energy-independent,” Huckabee said. “So that we don’t have to worry about Mr. Chavez.”

Despite Paul’s mixed reception on Sunday, he has garnered heavy support among college students and set an on-line fundraising record in November when he received more than $4.2 million in 24 hours.

“I offer [college students]change,” Paul said after the debate. “And they tend to be more principled than older people,” he later added, jokingly.

Erica Landau may be contacted at elandau1@umiami.edu.

To read News Editor Karyn Meshbane’s liveblog of the event, click here.

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

View photos from the Toledo Rockets at Miami Hurricanes game Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017, at Hard Rock ...

What seemed like calamity at the half turned out OK. The defense stepped up, Malik Rosier stepped up ...

A dozen thoughts and notes from UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium, a ga ...

1. DOLPHINS: Fins visit Stinkin' Jets: Biggest challenge facing Dolphins as Sunday's Jets ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 7-3 record, highlighted by Ana Madcur's win over ni ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opened the fall portion of its 2017-18 schedule Satur ...

Sinead Lohan of the Miami women's tennis team beat two top-65 players to reach the Milwaukee Te ...

Nathan Kuck and Maryam Jawid led the University of Miami cross country program with top 10 finishes ...