Downtown’s trendy hidden gem offers great atmosphere, city view

Tucked behind the bustling nightlife of Mary Brickell Village is the fabulous (and very conspicuous) Mediterranean fusion restaurant, Dolores, But You Can Call Me Lolita.

The oversized wicker lounge area out front, complete with candles and soft red lighting that illuminates the white building, is ideal for patrons who come to mingle or simply to unwind with a cocktail.

After passing through a large dark lounge with a bar that looks like something out of a “Nip/Tuck” episode, you’ll enter a candlelit world that is every girl’s wedding reception dream. Small lanterns equipped with tea lights line the floor of the wooden staircase as you ascend to the beautiful dining area that waits.

On each white linen table, a single martini glass with a tea light dropped inside illuminates the glistening water glasses and sheer, billowing black draperies that hang from the ceiling. At the front of the room, two large fire poles that have been sealed shut serve as a centerpiece for a multi-level display of large vases filled with water and white daisies.

Although the dining room is beautiful, ask to be seated on the patio. You’ll be glad you did. The large outdoor dining area gives an immediate view of downtown while you eat. Also, the lounge area is great for enjoying their happy hour, which I’ve heard from the waiters can’t be missed.

While their menu may seem small, it’s deliciously packed with individually-perfected dishes. Each entrée comes with a free appetizer of your choice. Dishes like “Gazpacho so good, we’ll give you the recipe” and “Simply, the best Serrano ham croquettes you have ever tasted,” (seriously, those are their names), are among the appetizer choices. “Causa with Tuna,” their Peruvian recipe, gives the dish of tuna and mayonnaise a new twist.

For dinner, try the pork tenderloin with a ginger and orange glaze, or the grilled Brazilian Picanha steak with a Cabernet Sauvignon reduction, which comes with a fried risotto that will make you rethink rice. Other choices vary from filet mignon carpaccio to Kobe beef mini burgers with fries. The selection of wines by the glass is rather petite, but the bottles range from $18 to $280. Also, a large chilled bottle of the restaurant’s water is poured at every table.

The restaurant itself is slightly hidden, but it is definitely worth discovering.

Dolores, But You Can Call Me Lolita
1000 South Miami Ave
(305) 403-3104
www.doloreslolita.com

Dress: Casual elegant
Parking: Garage located in Mary Brickell Village or meters on the street. Valet is also available.
Price Range: Entrées are set at either $18 or $23
Tip: Don’t sit by the door.

Ashley Guistolisi may be contacted at a.guistolisi@umiami.edu.

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...