SPORTS BRIEFS

Baseball
Canes announce 2008 schedule

The Miami Hurricanes announced their 2008 schedule, which includes 54 regular-season games. The schedule consists of 36 home games and 20 games against teams that made it to the NCAA Tournament in 2007.

The lineup also includes an always-tough Atlantic Coast Conference schedule and 12 games against non-conference teams from within the state.

“This will be another challenging schedule for us,” Coach Jim Morris said. “We play one of the toughest conference schedules in the country and welcome several tough games against in-state competition. We have 36 home games that our fans should be excited about as we get ready for another great season of Hurricane baseball. This schedule will prepare us for where we want to be come June.”

Women’s Basketball
Four new players signed to team

Women’s basketball coach Katie Meier recently announced the signing of Sylvia Bullock, Shenise Johnson, Jazmond Stringer and Riquna Williams to National Letters of Intent.

Bullock is a 6-foot-1 forward, who was named second team all-state by the Anchorage Daily News, as she averaged 22 points and 12 rebounds as a junior.

Johnson is a 5-foot-11 guard who is rated as the No. 16 recruit by Hoopgurlz.com. According to Big Apple Recruitings, Johnson is the top rated player in New York, and she is a first-team all-state AA selection by the New York State Sportswriters’ Association.

Stringer is a 6-foot-4 forward who is relatively new to the game, as she has only played basketball for three years, but she still managed to average 12.6 points and 8.0 rebounds her junior year.

Williams is a 5-foot-7 guard who is rated as one of the top 20 guards in the country. She earned the 2006-07 Palm Beach Post Small School Player of the Year, and she was a second team Class 3A all-state selection.

Compiled from hurricanesports.com

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...