November through March Madness

Football season in Miami is over. The Orange Bowl is finished, but at least it was a classy exit, right? At best, a bowl game is possible. It’s time to put away your Baby-J and T-Good jerseys and throw on your Jack McClinton III jersey. While Miami is and always will be a football-first school, how about giving basketball a chance? We did finish 12-20 last year and 4-12 in the ACC, but that is no reason to fret.

First, there is Jack McClinton. Apple Jack was the best three-point and free-throw shooter in the ACC last year. Starting at point guard, Lance Hurdle is a junior transfer with a reported 40+ inch vertical jump. At small forward, Brian Asbury and Adrian Thomas are well-rounded, slashing, three-point-shooting defensive animals. Now let’s move on to our front court. Dwayne Collins, Jimmy Graham and Anthony King all rotate at power forward and center and all are equally effective. Graham is a high-energy rebounding machine, seemingly never tired as he chases the ball all over the court. King is coming off an injury year and has looked extremely sharp. He rebounds, posts up effectively and runs the pick and pop very well. Dwayne Collins, a freshman sensation last year, blocks shots, rebounds and dunks in your face. The Hurricanes have much-touted rookie Eddie Rios coming off the bench, along with shooter James Dews and enforcer Raymond Hicks.

Our team has been overlooked and has played second fiddle to football. I guarantee a winning season this year, and if not, I will refund your tickets. Oh wait.it’s free. Well, instead of giving up on Hurricane sports with the end of the football season, how about rocking the BUC just like UVA rocked us.

Tom Barnes is a freshman majoring in marine science and biology. He may be contacted at t.barnes3@umiami.edu.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...