November through March Madness

Football season in Miami is over. The Orange Bowl is finished, but at least it was a classy exit, right? At best, a bowl game is possible. It’s time to put away your Baby-J and T-Good jerseys and throw on your Jack McClinton III jersey. While Miami is and always will be a football-first school, how about giving basketball a chance? We did finish 12-20 last year and 4-12 in the ACC, but that is no reason to fret.

First, there is Jack McClinton. Apple Jack was the best three-point and free-throw shooter in the ACC last year. Starting at point guard, Lance Hurdle is a junior transfer with a reported 40+ inch vertical jump. At small forward, Brian Asbury and Adrian Thomas are well-rounded, slashing, three-point-shooting defensive animals. Now let’s move on to our front court. Dwayne Collins, Jimmy Graham and Anthony King all rotate at power forward and center and all are equally effective. Graham is a high-energy rebounding machine, seemingly never tired as he chases the ball all over the court. King is coming off an injury year and has looked extremely sharp. He rebounds, posts up effectively and runs the pick and pop very well. Dwayne Collins, a freshman sensation last year, blocks shots, rebounds and dunks in your face. The Hurricanes have much-touted rookie Eddie Rios coming off the bench, along with shooter James Dews and enforcer Raymond Hicks.

Our team has been overlooked and has played second fiddle to football. I guarantee a winning season this year, and if not, I will refund your tickets. Oh wait.it’s free. Well, instead of giving up on Hurricane sports with the end of the football season, how about rocking the BUC just like UVA rocked us.

Tom Barnes is a freshman majoring in marine science and biology. He may be contacted at t.barnes3@umiami.edu.

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...