News Briefs

University of Miami Debate Team’s performance recognized nationally

The University of Miami Debate Team has achieved unprecedented success after placing 24th in the nation following a debate at the University of Richmond in Virginia.

The debate, which took place from Oct. 12-14, featured 76 teams from 25 colleges and universities. The debate team ranked No. 4 in the Southeast.

Sophomore Carrie Hanson and Florida International University junior Nalisa Saati teamed up as part of a joint UM-FIU cooperative to make it to the octofinals in the Varsity division. Simone Branch, junior, and Kayla Savasta, sophomore, made it to the octofinals in the Novice division.

“Day in and day out [the UM Debate Team]are on campus getting ready,” debate coach David Steinberg said in a press release. “That’s why we’ve been ranked so high.”

Rosenstiel marine school researchers to aid coral reef restoration

Climbing temperatures, hurricanes and coral diseases have taken a toll on the staghorn coral population, and researchers from the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science have created an underwater nursery to study the threatened species.

Diego Lirman and James Herlan, both scientists at RSMAS, aim to collect data on growth and mortality patterns of staghorn coral in order to help propagate the coral and use it in future reef restoration and experiments.

The new underwater nursery, one of several in Florida, is located in the waters of Biscayne National Park.

Student assaulted in University Village apartment

An unidentified male entered an unlocked University Village apartment and assaulted and robbed the victim at 4 a.m. Saturday morning, according to a crime alert sent out Saturday.

The victim had returned home to her apartment and left the door unlocked because she was anticipating a friend’s arrival. A man, described as a Hispanic male in his mid- to late-20s, entered her living room. After seeing the victim through her open bedroom door, the man demanded, in a thick Spanish accent, that she go to her bed. He forcefully grabbed and restrained her, but the victim fought back and, after injuring the man and knocking him to the floor, the man left the apartment.

The subject is described as having a short buzz haircut and a piercing in his right ear. He was last seen wearing a blue T-shirt and jeans.

“We got the crime alert out as quickly as we possibly could and we followed up with a University Village bulletin to tell students about extra security measures,” said Patricia A. Whitely, vice president of Student Affairs. “We also met with all the staff down there to alert anybody that if there are any suspicious persons to call public safety right away.”

The University Village bulletin said extra security has been implemented. Police officers will be placed throughout University Village from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. until further notice. Residents are also strongly encouraged to keep their front doors locked and not allow strangers into the building.

University Police are working closely with the Coral Gables Police Department to solve this crime.

“At this time, there have been no updates in terms of arrest or identification of suspects,” said Lt. Bill Gerlach. He added that UMPD takes this case “very seriously and addresses it very seriously.”

Anyone with any information is encouraged to contact the University of Miami Police Department at (305) 284-6666.

Etc.

The Ponce de Leon Garage will be closed from Nov. 22 to 25. All holders of valid UM parking permits may park in the Mahoney/Pearson Garage during this time.

The dining halls will re-open on the Sunday of Thanksgiving break from 4:30 to 7 p.m.

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...