News Briefs

University of Miami Debate Team’s performance recognized nationally

The University of Miami Debate Team has achieved unprecedented success after placing 24th in the nation following a debate at the University of Richmond in Virginia.

The debate, which took place from Oct. 12-14, featured 76 teams from 25 colleges and universities. The debate team ranked No. 4 in the Southeast.

Sophomore Carrie Hanson and Florida International University junior Nalisa Saati teamed up as part of a joint UM-FIU cooperative to make it to the octofinals in the Varsity division. Simone Branch, junior, and Kayla Savasta, sophomore, made it to the octofinals in the Novice division.

“Day in and day out [the UM Debate Team]are on campus getting ready,” debate coach David Steinberg said in a press release. “That’s why we’ve been ranked so high.”

Rosenstiel marine school researchers to aid coral reef restoration

Climbing temperatures, hurricanes and coral diseases have taken a toll on the staghorn coral population, and researchers from the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science have created an underwater nursery to study the threatened species.

Diego Lirman and James Herlan, both scientists at RSMAS, aim to collect data on growth and mortality patterns of staghorn coral in order to help propagate the coral and use it in future reef restoration and experiments.

The new underwater nursery, one of several in Florida, is located in the waters of Biscayne National Park.

Student assaulted in University Village apartment

An unidentified male entered an unlocked University Village apartment and assaulted and robbed the victim at 4 a.m. Saturday morning, according to a crime alert sent out Saturday.

The victim had returned home to her apartment and left the door unlocked because she was anticipating a friend’s arrival. A man, described as a Hispanic male in his mid- to late-20s, entered her living room. After seeing the victim through her open bedroom door, the man demanded, in a thick Spanish accent, that she go to her bed. He forcefully grabbed and restrained her, but the victim fought back and, after injuring the man and knocking him to the floor, the man left the apartment.

The subject is described as having a short buzz haircut and a piercing in his right ear. He was last seen wearing a blue T-shirt and jeans.

“We got the crime alert out as quickly as we possibly could and we followed up with a University Village bulletin to tell students about extra security measures,” said Patricia A. Whitely, vice president of Student Affairs. “We also met with all the staff down there to alert anybody that if there are any suspicious persons to call public safety right away.”

The University Village bulletin said extra security has been implemented. Police officers will be placed throughout University Village from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. until further notice. Residents are also strongly encouraged to keep their front doors locked and not allow strangers into the building.

University Police are working closely with the Coral Gables Police Department to solve this crime.

“At this time, there have been no updates in terms of arrest or identification of suspects,” said Lt. Bill Gerlach. He added that UMPD takes this case “very seriously and addresses it very seriously.”

Anyone with any information is encouraged to contact the University of Miami Police Department at (305) 284-6666.

Etc.

The Ponce de Leon Garage will be closed from Nov. 22 to 25. All holders of valid UM parking permits may park in the Mahoney/Pearson Garage during this time.

The dining halls will re-open on the Sunday of Thanksgiving break from 4:30 to 7 p.m.

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...