A slice of chocolate heaven

After rounding the corner of the elevator, the smells of chocolate pour into your nostrils, and the soft yellow lights guide you to what surely seems to be heaven. Every Friday and Saturday night, The Four Seasons Hotel Miami hosts a decadent chocolate tapas bar that will leave even the most ardent chocolate lover begging for mercy.

The buffet of desserts sits on a long table, with tiers of different choices and soft candles scattered in between. In the center is a large chocolate fountain, complete with baskets of marshmallows, strawberries, cookies and Rice Krispies treats for dipping. Each dessert looks hand-made, crafted especially for you, many with flecks of edible gold garnished on top. My advice is to start at one end of the table and work your way down because, try as you might, you won’t be able to fit them all on one plate.

The first thing that caught my eye was the chocolate cream, a small espresso-sized cup of what seemed like chocolate pudding with whipped cream and a thin chocolate garnish on top (which I also ate first). Peeking through at the back of the table, I noticed a small electric incubator, keeping the small, but heavenly molten chocolate cakes warm.

At first, I turned my nose up to the chocolate passion fruit, but after both the chef and my waitress told me it was their favorite, I had to try it for myself – and they were definitely right. The passion fruit came off very strong, so if you’re one of those people who doesn’t like to mix business with pleasure, this one’s not for you.

This buffet has something for everyone to love, whether it’s the milk chocolate caramelized dome (amazing), or the raspberry upside down tort. Don’t leave without trying my favorite, the Colombian coffee Napoleon, a rich combination of coffee-flavored mousse sandwiched between both soft and hardened chocolate. And before you do anything, make sure to order a tall glass of milk-you’re going to need it.

Where: Four Seasons Hotel Miami 1435 Brickell Avenue, Acqua Lounge

When: Every Friday and Saturday from 9pm to midnight

Price: $21/person

Ashley Guistolisi may be contacted at a.guistolisi@umiami.edu.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...