SPORTS BRIEFS

Soccer
Hurricanes to face Gators

When the NCAA announced its 2007 tournament bracket, the University of Miami (9-6-5) women’s soccer team found themselves facing third-seeded University of Florida (16-4-2).
The Canes were one of eight Atlantic Coast Conference teams to make the tournament. Out of the field of 64 teams, Miami has played 11 of them during the regular season.
The Hurricanes will face off against the Gators on Friday in Gainesville, Fla.

Hall of Fame
Eight new members to be inducted next year

On Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2008, the University of Miami will induct eight new members into its Sports Hall of Fame.
The members include two-time Honorable All-American golfer Woody Austin; Octavia Blue, a two-time All-Big East Third Team member in women’s basketball; Golden Spikes winner and baseball star Pat Burrell; Jeff Feagles, a member of the 1987 football National Championship; Randal Hill, a two-time football National Championship winner; K.C. Jones, a 1996 first team All-American and three-time All-Big East football star; three-time women’s diving All-American Wendy Williams; and Hurricane basketball star Mike Wittman.

Major League Baseball
Braun named National League Rookie of the Year

Third baseman Ryan Braun was named Major League Baseball’s National League Rookie of the Year for the 2007 season. Braun currently plays for the Milwaukee Brewers and is a former UM player.
Braun is the only Hurricane to ever win any of the MLB’s top awards.
“We’re very proud of Ryan,” Coach Jim Morris said. “He’s had a phenomenal rookie season. He was a great player for us at Miami, and we’re glad to see him excelling at the next level.”

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...