Kyle Wright’s injury is clearly still affecting his mobility outside the pocket. Wright continues to struggle at leading the passing game. Tyrod Taylor’s mobility and ability to throw on the run should pose problems for the Hurricanes. Sean Glennon also will be in the rotation and has come on strong after a slow start to the season.

Advantage: VA TECH

Miami’s group up front has to play disciplined and limit mistakes. The unit must pick up the blitz and provide time for Wright to throw in the pocket. The Hokies’ glaring weakness has been the O-line, which has surrendered 35 sacks on the year. The unit performed well against Florida State and has improved in the latter part of the season.

Advantage: EVEN

Miami’s tailbacks must be effective on first and second downs and set up manageable third downs for the offense. Javarris James and Graig Cooper need to combine for more than 100 yards and get in the end zone. Branden Ore had a big performance against the Hurricanes last year, but he is nursing an injury and has only averaged close to 60 yards per game on the season. Kenny Lewis is a change of pace and has hit pay dirt four times.

Advantage: MIAMI

The Canes need to find another reliable target to go along with Darnell Jenkins. The unit has not done a good job creating separation and has dropped some catchable passes. The Hokies have received more production at the position. Justin Harper and Josh Morgan have combined for 60 catches and seven touchdowns on the season.

Advantage: VA TECH

Miami has to do a better job on outside containment and help create turnovers to set the tone early. The Hurricanes need to get to the quarterback more often on third downs. The Hokies’ interior linemen do a good job getting to the running back. Defensive end Chris Ellis can wreak havoc and leads the team with 6.5 sacks.

Advantage: VA TECH

Miami’s unit must read the play-action fake and focus on covering opponents in the flat and out of the backfield. The Hokies have a solid unit that has contributed in stopping the running game. Xavier Adibi is one of the top linebackers in the ACC.

Advantage: VA TECH

Kenny and Randy Phillips have quietly been productive for the unit during the past few games, but the cornerbacks continue to struggle in coverage and tackling. Virginia Tech cornerbacks Victor Harris and Brandon Flowers each have four interceptions on the season and rank among the best in the ACC.

Miami’s kicking game still remains a question heading into Blacksburg. The Hurricanes need more productivity on kickoff and punt returns. Virginia Tech’s Eddie Royal has taken two punts back for scores. Brent Bowden has averaged 42 yards per punt, while Jud Dunlevy is 14-for-17 in field goals.

Advantage: VA TECH

Alex Kushel may be contacted at

Saturday’s game begins at 3:30 p.m. It will be televised nationally on ABC 10 and broadcast on WVUM 90.5.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

Human Rights Watch says the government’s denial of the crisis worsens the suffering of its people. ...

The Hurricanes fell in dramatic fashion to Loyola Chicago in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament. ...

The University of Miami rowing team will open its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invit ...

The Miami Hurricanes will be looking for their fourth series win of the spring when they open up a w ...

Senior Wally Layland started the final diving meet of her career in spectacular fashion Wednesday ni ...

The eighth-seeded Miami women's basketball team begins its fourth consecutive NCAA Tournament a ...