Glow-in-the-dark necklaces were a terrible idea

After being patted down and strip-searched like I was about to get on an airplane, I walked into the Orange Bowl for the final time.

First, I received my free T-shirt. Note to incoming freshmen: The University of Miami gives you a free wardrobe when you come down here, so don’t bring too many shirts!

Second, I was handed orange and green glow-in-the-dark necklaces that were flexible and snapped around the neck. I thought to myself: What is this, a bar mitzvah? The next thing that came to my mind was that this spells trouble. Nearly 7,500 screaming 18- to 22-year-olds rooting passionately at the top of their lungs with circular objects around their necks meant chaos was bound to break out. Compound that with the game being a blowout, and orange and green saucers were flying in every direction. I knew these things would be flung like Frisbees as soon as students got seated.

My first question was: Why hand out glow-in-the-dark necklaces when it is bright inside the stadium? Did they actually expect fans to hold on to them until the postgame festivities got under way? My next question: Why not hand out orange towels that maybe said “Goodbye OB”? I understand the intent was to generate spirit, but handing out objects that can be thrown was not the best solution. Towels would look much cooler in the stands. And if anyone can throw a towel from the student section onto the field, then I think they should talk to Coach Shannon about playing quarterback next year. No one would get hurt if there were towels. Instead innocent police officers, cheerleaders and band members were getting hit with these necklaces. It was like high school graduation all over again. Instead of hats, it was glow-in-the-dark necklaces that served no purpose.

So let’s not blame the students in this situation. It was not such a bright (no pun intended) idea to give away glow-in-the-dark necklaces.

Justin Antweil is a freshman majoring in print journalism and economics. He may be contacted at j.antweil@umiami.edu.

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...