Everyday Green Tips

Home/Office

Use: Opt for a reusable rag rather than paper towels. If you use a roll of paper towels per week, you could save more than $100* per year by switching to dishcloths and tea towels. If all The Miami Hurricane readers who use a roll per week switch to rags, in a year they will save the weight of 2,340,000 tea towels in paper.*

Sleep: Give your laptop some down time, change your PC’s energy settings and turn it off at night. It will reduce energy consumption by up to 70 percent and save up to $75 per computer per year.* If all The Miami Hurricane readers switch their settings, in a year we’ll save enough cash to buy about 626 new Macs.*

Show: Send e-cards rather than the traditional snail mail cards; it’s faster and helps the environment.

Light: Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs to save electricity and money.

Transportation

Purchase: Local produce. It takes most of our food and drink travels between 1,500 and 2,500 miles* before getting to us; that’s a lot of gas.

Share: Carpool to campus. Not only can you save money by splitting the parking decal and gas price, but you’ll also be emitting less carbon dioxide into the air and reducing traffic congestion.

Lifestyle

Wear: Go organic with what you wear. If all The Miami Hurricane readers choose an organic T-shirt instead of a non-organic one, we’ll save the weight of 22 models in pesticides.*

Drink: If you’re over 21, instead of hitting the pub, try some of these organic, eco-friendly sparkling wines and liquor: Prosecco Perlage Riva Moretta, Papagayo Organic Spiced Rum, Juniper Green Gin and Square One Vodka, which is made with 100-percent organic rye.*

*Information and statistics collected from the Idealbite.com daily green tips and are based on a population of 10,000 people.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...