Everyday Green Tips

Home/Office

Use: Opt for a reusable rag rather than paper towels. If you use a roll of paper towels per week, you could save more than $100* per year by switching to dishcloths and tea towels. If all The Miami Hurricane readers who use a roll per week switch to rags, in a year they will save the weight of 2,340,000 tea towels in paper.*

Sleep: Give your laptop some down time, change your PC’s energy settings and turn it off at night. It will reduce energy consumption by up to 70 percent and save up to $75 per computer per year.* If all The Miami Hurricane readers switch their settings, in a year we’ll save enough cash to buy about 626 new Macs.*

Show: Send e-cards rather than the traditional snail mail cards; it’s faster and helps the environment.

Light: Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs to save electricity and money.

Transportation

Purchase: Local produce. It takes most of our food and drink travels between 1,500 and 2,500 miles* before getting to us; that’s a lot of gas.

Share: Carpool to campus. Not only can you save money by splitting the parking decal and gas price, but you’ll also be emitting less carbon dioxide into the air and reducing traffic congestion.

Lifestyle

Wear: Go organic with what you wear. If all The Miami Hurricane readers choose an organic T-shirt instead of a non-organic one, we’ll save the weight of 22 models in pesticides.*

Drink: If you’re over 21, instead of hitting the pub, try some of these organic, eco-friendly sparkling wines and liquor: Prosecco Perlage Riva Moretta, Papagayo Organic Spiced Rum, Juniper Green Gin and Square One Vodka, which is made with 100-percent organic rye.*

*Information and statistics collected from the Idealbite.com daily green tips and are based on a population of 10,000 people.

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clearer than ever on Wednesday: Come the Sept. ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...